Intercooler and Chip questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docp1980

Reaction score
Hi guys,

just got my Nav back from the 90,000km service and my intercooler is leaking (YD25). Nissan seem to be coming to the party with a warranty replacement (initially it seemed like the Chip It mods were a major problem, but in the end the dealer agreed to warranty it), but I wanted to ask if anyone thinks my Chip It setup may have caused this? It's running a custom tune, with max boost at 25 PSI. When Chip It installed it (i'm living in Perth now), I questioned the boost it was running and they said that with the 3 inch, turbo-back, straight through exhaust I run, it won't be a drama and won't prematurely wear out my turbo. They said the D40's run a factory boost of about 22 PSI with the same turbo and engine and that they have tuned heaps of D22's to run 25 PSI.

Also, I haven't installed a catch can, but if this may have prevented the damage to the intercooler then I definitely will.

I have looked at aftermarket intercoolers but don't really have the $ to buy one and in reality shouldn't the Nissan one reduce the inlet temperature enough for the factory turbo? My EGT's never get above 450 and usually sit on the low 300's for highway driving from memory.

Cheers,

Matt

What exactly is leaking? Oil out of the joiners to the cooler? Or air from a crack

They said the D40's run a factory boost of about 22 PSI with the same turbo and engine and that they have tuned heaps of D22's to run 25 PSI.

d40 and d22 do NOT run the same turbo.
i have no idea what max boost you could run the turbo before it goes horribly inefficient.

the extra boost should not damage an intercooler. if the navara intercoolers are as good as patrol intercoolers i would not be surprised at all that it leaks. patrol ones are crap.

Latest posts

Back