Howdy.....New to 4wd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Outlaw

Reaction score
Well I'd never thought I'd ever be saying this - but I just got myself a 4 Wheel Drive..

Picked up a 2008 Black D40 Navara Outlaw for a price too good to refuse..

A few years ago I would have never ever dreamed of wanting anything 4 Wheel drive.. I've always been into low, fast and sporty V8's...

However, something in the brain has switched, and here I now find myself with a 4WD..

I've read (and read) and it seems there is a very mixed view on the Turbo Diesel. I am hoping they are not all that bad!

Given it's my first venture into the land of 4WD I have some reading to do.. Though any tips / hints will be greatly appreciated..

Cheers..
Paul.

Hi Paul, hope you'll be very happy with your Nav, we have the same yr D40 & love it to bits. I can't remember the last time I got into a car, stroked the dash & said I lurrrvvv this car. I guess you'll be doing a few mods over time...get yourself prepared buy a few 4wd mags & you'll be hooked. A couple of things, know what your car is before you start buying for it...is it a spain or thai built? You can tell by the con no on the the rego sticker. VSK is spain built, mine is, & they're different in structure to a thai built nav. Second, budget buying is not always cheaper in the long run. Sometimes buying better quality which costs more initially will cost you less in the long run. Before you buy look at reviews on line to see how that product has fared, ask on forums, local 4wd club etc. so you can make the best informed decision before you part with your hard earned dosh. Ask companies what sort of deals can they do for you, freebies etc. Watch the labour costs, can be more than the product by some companies. Definitely join a 4wd club, great people, & think about doing a 4wd course. We did one last Feb with Vic Widman's Great Divide Tours in Braidwood NSW, travelled from Colac in Vict 1000+kms each way to get there, best thing ever, we really learnt how to get the best out of Li'l Smokey & can't recommend the instructors highly enough. There are others around as well, do a search on the web. So have fun, do lots of research on what you want to do and once you start it's hard to stop...until you run out of money...lol. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I've always been of the credo "you get what you pay for".. All my cars have always had "the good stuff" as its easier to pay more and do it once, than pay less and do it over and over...

Currently chasing a rear soft Tonneau cover and the support bars that go across the rear tub to hold the cover up.. It would seem the previous owner had "misplaced" them.. Any suggestions on where to obtain one (aside from Nissan)... Then next will be full oil changes for engine, trans and diffs.. Just to ensure it has nice clean oil in all the important bits..

I don't think I am going to go "overboard" with the mods - maybe keep this one simple and leave the big things to my Clubsport..

Having a beach house down south (Near Bunbury for those that are WA Familiar) will mean it will have plenty of beach to drive on...

Just reading the oil thread - and a few others to start to "get into the know" a little about these machines..

Oh - it's a Spain built one (I read about the different VIN Numbers while researching the Navaras)so I will definitely keep it in mind now..

If you want to keep your Nav for road driving & the occasional dirt track then you need do nothing other than the usual maintenance, but the 4wds that we drive out of the car yards are just basic & not suited to off roading unless you're looking at altering your suspension, tyres, etc. You don't have to go overboard but there is some gear you have to get if you make your time off road safe & enjoyable, & you need to know how to use it. But again, if you're using it as a road tourer you don't have to much worry

I have a cover but its a button up on an the support bar. Also i live in qld..

Latest posts

Back