HOW TO.. remove cross member and mount

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakour

Reaction score
Hi all...
today the second attempt I've made to remove the croosmember on which gear box sits on with no luck. I removed 4Bolts (2 on each side) which by the way... 2of the bolts closer to the chasis was a it of a pain, could hardly get a socket with the rachet on it, removed 3nuts holding the gearbox mount in place.on the crossmember... hoping that with a bit of persuasion the crossmember would come off... boy was i wrong! Used a hammer to dislodge it but no luck!
After about 1hr.or so... i gave up and put everything back together.
QUESTION IS...How.do i remove this.crossmember bar.???
Is ther a specific way to remove it??? Tried jacking the gearbox up in the hop that it would give enough clearance to slide the.mount off.. but no go..
Has anyone.done this and.how...??,
cheers

According to the manual, there are 3 central bolts holding the insulator in place on the cross member. The insulator is attached to the gearbox by two bolts. There are also the 4 bolts (2 on each side) that you would have noticed already.

Removal of those bolts should loosen the cross member. Jacking up the gearbox should free it from the cross member but the 3 studs of the insulator will need to be cleared by lifting the gearbox or lowering the cross-member.

There's nothing else listed as connecting the cross member. Once the end bolts are removed, you'd have to imagine that you'd be able to rock the assembly because the only things holding it in place are the gear lever, cables, breathers, front and rear drive shafts and the engine mounting bolts.

Hopefully someone who's done it will come along and help!

Yes it's pretty tight, pry bar and good size hammer with your ear muffs on. We used a jack to push it back in to give you an idea, friction fit.

Cheers

Thanks OldTony and Muzza...
i got to the stage where everything above mentioned was carried out... to the point where i couldnt separate the crossmember from the chasis brackets also fearing that even if i got it out by brutal force, i wouldn't be able to align the bolt holes on either side back in ...or worse of... the chasis slightly twisting or buckling then making it imposible to get the bolts back in..
any thoughts on this Muzza? or anyone else out ther reading up...

Yes it may seem like that, it's a tight fit, a little mud and corrosion almost makes it feel like it's welded in. Get it out clean the mating surfaces with wd 40 and soft scour pad and push it back in with a jack, the holes will align no where else for it to move. Support the gearbox with a jack stand while you are doing all this. :cheers!:

Cheers Muzza...
i migh give it a 3rd go this w'end... although im working only with a couple.of car ramps. At which point would it be better to hammer it? One end at a time or even knocks at each end... not much room in ther to tale a swing....
thanks once again for ur help..

We concentrated on one side more than the other, whichever gives you a better swing. Earmuffs, a good weight hammer and a decent pry bar, not a screwdriver. Weight and leverage are your friends. Good luck mate, don't forget a little WD 40 there tonight to let it soak in also may help.

Latest posts

Back