How to remove centre trim around stereo and controls

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorb

Reaction score
Guys/Gals,

2010 D22 ST-R with the double din factory stereo.
Double din stereo.JPG

I thought I'd share my technique of how I removed trim around stereo to access either stereo or controls switches as need be. There is a demo on You Tube that suggests prying out top, but I couldn't force it out by prying without potentially damaging trim. Not saying this is the correct technique, but it worked Ok for me. If you don't like this method, hopefully at least the photos will help you see what you are dealing with.....

There are four clips you will be faced with. I have dealt with these before in a Colorado, unfortunately they suck and your mileage may vary... I had no issue with the Navara ones other than one pulling off the plastic lug and falling behind dash never to be seen again..

They are located on the trim edge; two at the top of the stereo and two at the side of the stereo.
Stereo dash trim clip.JPG Holes for dash clips.JPG

There are also two screws, have a look under your Hazard Lights switch; and there are also two locating lugs at the bottom.

Lug.JPG

Start with removing the two screws under Hazard Lights.

Remove ash trays and lighter (just the insert)

Put your heater and fan controls into the centre positions.

Reach into Ashtray slots and give a firm but gentle pull outwards and up. Alternatively, you can try the pry method as on You Tube but I reckon damage may occur that will be visible. My way, if you are unlucky enough to break the plastic lug the clips sit on, at least it's behind and not visible. Then you just have to work out how to deal with it. Plastic weld or glue...??? I lost one clip (same as breaking) and it has made no difference to trim sitting in place. You "shouldn't" break the plastic lug, the clip "should" dislodge and stay in hole which then just requires a pair of needle nose pliers to press down the centre and pull out.

It sounds awful but the clips (should) pop out.

The trim will still be connected in the centre by the wiring for the heater controls etc. You can carry on from there or deal with stereo as the case may be.

Putting back together, make sure your clips at top are straight on their lugs, and the clips themselves are not bent. I use needle pliers and actually gently squeeze the centre in, so they don't grab as hard when they go back in. If you do this, just don't overdo it, so they don't grab at all. You can adjust them back out though if you go too far.

Start from bottom, aligning bottom lugs, then sort of roll the trim upwards over the heater controls and then put clips into there holes at stereo.

Good luck...

Latest posts

Back