how concerned would you be

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connaught

Reaction score
was out in the sand dunes the other day, and on the beach in 4 lo, after a couple hours and some bbq diner, later at a rather inopportune time i wanted 4 hi, so i stopped, switched the switch, waited and watched the indicator flash, went fwd, reverse, stop switch 4lo to 4 hi,..... this went on a bit, you get the idea, it was stuck in 4lo,

that however is not the concern, (i, after some reading, believe it was a sticky actuator as i don't use 4lo that often)

the concern is the rather significant 'thump' with and undertone of 'bang' that went along with the transfer case finally switching to 4 hi, admitedly i was under power and attempting to accelerate at that point, which is a less then ideal point to switch over,

how tough is the transfer case, will occasional unintentional abuse break it?

the box seems to work fine now, i am wondering if this is like the time i engaged 4hi from 2 hi while steering through a corner by mistake(that doesn't sound nice either)

have a look under the car check your front diff isn't pissing out oil, they like to break, never heard of the transfer case breaking though.

I've not heard of a transfer case breaking, but most of us stop the vehicle before changing from 4LO to 4HI or vice versa - since you need to be in neutral and on the footbrake when engaging 4LO, changing from HI to LO or LO to HI when fully stopped becomes second nature.

Personally I wouldn't change on the move. The transfer case is supposed to handle some strain, but that's once it's engaged. In changing the ratio, you're asking gears to mesh/unmesh and that's when they're most vulnerable.

A slight thump when 4LO is engaged/disengaged should be expected. More than that and you might be looking at a different problem - but you could always get underneath while someone engages and disengages while you have a listen. I don't think the engine needs to be running, but even if it does, you can leave it in neutral.

eh

seeems to be working ok, soo apparenty the gear box doesn't mind occasional accidental abuse

sooooooooo uhhhhhhhhh anyone wanna buy a slightly used d40???? been real gently with her heheheh :confused3:

eh

seeems to be working ok, soo apparenty the gear box doesn't mind occasional accidental abuse

sooooooooo uhhhhhhhhh anyone wanna buy a slightly used d40???? been real gently with her heheheh :confused3:

Sure mate, let's say $40,000 for the car minus hmmm $39,999 for the damage you did to it... DEAL! Haha

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back