Hi from first timer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

channo

Reaction score
HI
This is my first time to any forum and probably looking for some reassurence.
The reasion I purchased my 2005 D22 navara 4x4 was that I thaught the diesel motor would be more reliable.
It was when I spoke to my mechanic and he mentioned the problems he has seen with the ZD30 I began to panic.
I have been reading all the threads about the ZD30 I can find but does any one know about the ZD30 reliability after 2003?

Welcome to the forums.
I can't help you with the ZD30 but I'm sure someone here can.

Welcome.
ZD30 post and inclusive 2005 are fine. Don't stress out. Service and maintain it as required and you wont have a problem.

Welcome to the forum.

Aido is spot on, you should be fine. 5000k oil changes and your engine will love you.

Welcome to the forum.
Mine is a 2003 zd30 and iv flogged the absolute guts out of it and its on gas too, no problem at all, i think your mechanic is referring to the zd30's in the patrols, there the ones to worry about.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the help I was hoping that should be the case . I know nothing is 100% but I will definatly be doing the 5000 services and getting on with some tough driving to test it out.

Hey Channo, like a lot of Nav owners I went through the panic stage when I started internet searching the ZD30 engines. At one stage I was working the finances to sell up even though I loved it. But after some consideration I decided to stick with it and fingers crossed I won't regret that decision! There doesn't seem to be a black and white answer out there as to whether we need to worry so our personal experience will dictate the rest.

To anyone else who knows, Aido mentioned that 2005 inclusive was okay, was there a change to the ZD30 in 2005? I have a July 2004 built Nav so curious about what the update was. Any responses would be appreciated.

Welcome mate.

Keep the motor working and dont nanny it and your less likely to have issues.

Dave.

For what ever reason there seems to be a problem with big end bearings handgrenading mostly in Europe. Alot of posts detailing the issue on UK sites.
The major fault appears to be the big end bearing cap bolts being unfit for the purpose.
Too many links to point to so browse here.
navara big end failure - Google Search

The ZD30 as fitted to the patrols suffers a completely different ailment in the form of piston failures.
Patrol zd30 engine failure - Google Search
I'm not sure that too many Navara's fitted with the ZD30 here in Australia have suffered either of the problems above.

i think your mechanic is referring to the zd30's in the patrols, there the ones to worry about.

Solid's right here...
and one of the probs was not enough oil in the sump, so they fixed it with shorter dipstixz or they put the wrong dipstix in at the factory.
Anyway thats the patrol and not yours
Keep it serviced and maintained and she'll be right.

Also, welcome to the family..

Solid's right here...
and one of the probs was not enough oil in the sump, so they fixed it with shorter dipstixz or they put the wrong dipstix in at the factory.
Anyway thats the patrol and not yours
Keep it serviced and maintained and she'll be right.

Also, welcome to the family..

True, i forgot about that, they did do something with more oil and dipsticks.

Back