Help my car wont start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alby

Reaction score
I have a 2012 st D40 automatic. Last night went to leave a function and it just wouldn't start. When you turn the key to on, the headlights come on despite them not being turned on and the thermo fan starts, but it wont wind over at all.(similar to not having the gear leaver in park or neutral) The battery is less than 9 months old, I tried disconnecting the battery for a time and reconnecting it, I replaced the battery in the key fob, but no difference. Also tried jump starting it as well as locking and unlocking the vehicle numerous times. Despite the headlights coming on when the key is turned to the on position, they wont turn on manually at all when the key is in the off position. The starter solenoid is not making any noise at all. Have also tried shifting the gear leaver in and out of park and neutral. Would be grateful for any advice.

It's unusual that the lights come on like that - headlights are a responsibility of the Body Control Module (BCM) inside the cabin.

I'm not sure if the 2012 D40 has a neutral position switch that enables/disables start. In the older D40 autos a failure in the NPS causes the starter to be locked out (the NPS is separate to the function determining which gear the gearbox is in). Starting the car may also depend on a starter relay in the IPDM/ER - that's the black box located immediately behind the battery in the older model cars (and no reason why the 2012 should have it elsewhere).

I'd try the electrical things first, before looking at the box. Even measuring the voltage of the battery after you've turned it on could help. Odd/erratic problems are often due to faulty earth connections. Clean both battery terminals, clean the earth connection on the other end of the negative battery cable and look for the ECU's earth and give it a clean too.

Latest posts

Back