Hand winches

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Brands aside, there's seems to be 2 different types of hand winches. The first type looks very basic and ads usually say are for removing stumps 4x4ing etc.
The second type made by companies like Tirfor/ black rat etc and háve a casing around them.
Below are examples of both just to show pictures, but does anyone know what makes the so different? The first type are really cheap (all brands) but seem to have similar rating to Tirfor type.
I reckon I'm about 2 years away from a bar winch so trying to find out a bit more info.
I haven't got stuck yet and don't go looking for trouble but thought could be handy.
Am I better off posting thus in the D40 section as they seem to get stuck more???!!! Haha but of Sunday avo humour..

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=360293634240&index=15&nav=SEARCH&nid=85656631709

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/searchresults?cmd=SKW&kw=Tirfor&x=16&y=7

the wire strainer type is often called an emergency winch. not really recommended for 4x4 but they are handy eg holding the ute sideways while you pull with main winch. apart from lower rating, the big draw back is the measly 3-5m pull. not sure what the go is with using it to lower something down.

the tifor type can pull as long as the length of wire you have and they have much higher ratings. only curse is they are bulky.

Marcus. I have one of the Black rat ones. They can certainly pull plenty and have a nice long pull line. The down sides are weight and bulkyness. By the time you put the winch and 20m of cable in the back they take a bit of space. Also after lifting it in and out each weekend, you soon get sick of it!
The other obvious downside of any hand winch is that they are slooooooowwwwww, by the time you get them out, set them up and drag the car out you might easily take an hour or more. (all the while, your mrs is giving you dirty looks from the passenger seat!)
If you want a cheap starting point for self recovery I would look a at a highlift jack and drag chain. At least then when you do get an electric winch, the highlift still has a use. (jack and back up winch)

Thanks for the comments tweaka and heat'e. Kind of cemented what I already presumed.
I get enough dirty looks from the misses already haha, so when you think about it might be just worth waiting. Sell alloy bar and buy 2nd hand steel bar is cheap so then just find a winch. This will be after suspension of course!
I like your idea heata, I've heard you can use a hi lift as a winch and then you can get an attachment to use a hi lift to lift off a wheel until you have sliders/steel bar.

Would anyone car to post the dimensions of the black rat/trifor type? Actually, the question is what size box do you need and what is the weight?

Latest posts

Back