gearbox whine and black oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big zetor

Reaction score
Ok so after replacing my rear end and front end for no reason I now have a whine from 1600 revs to 3000 revs and it dosen't matter what gear you in its' the same when you put your foot on the clutch its gone. so i drop the oil out of the gearbox and its as black as engine oil after 25000ks so my question is what has happend to the gearbox, anyone got any theories thanks.

Ok so after replacing my rear end and front end for no reason I now have a whine from 1600 revs to 3000 revs and it dosen't matter what gear you in its' the same when you put your foot on the clutch its gone. so i drop the oil out of the gearbox and its as black as engine oil after 25000ks so my question is what has happend to the gearbox, anyone got any theories thanks.
does it smell burnt possibly a bearing gone burning the oil much fileings in the bottom?

no big filings just very fine metal shavings like grinding sparks.
sounds like a bearing especially for the oil to be black sounds like its got burnt i.e very hot we have that problem all the time at work bearing in transmissions red oil went in blakc oil came out lol

does anyone know if these boxes can be reco'd or would it be cheaper and easyer to replace with a low k used box.

you always do get powder like crap sitting on the sump plug. dosn't mean anything is broken or damaged.
i would just change the oil, make sure you get the right oil, and see if the noise goes.

a wine on coasting can also be diff or driveshaft. not sure if nissan drive shafts are balanced as two parts or as one shaft.
possibly even be clutch, spigot bearing.

if the noise goes when you put your foot on the clutch that normally means its the throw out bearing not some thing in the box, have you still got the standard clutch and flywheel or have you upgraded yours, i did the solid mass conversion on mine and the throw out was replaced and its whined ever since!!

It was the gearbox making the whine put a near new second hand one in and everything is all good now' only need to replace the engine now and i will have a new car again lol,:rofl2:

Latest posts

Back