Gday - New Member - New D40 STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just thought i'd do a quick Intro,

My Name's Tiny - Aka Rob and i'm a recovering alco... Oh wait... wrong thread!

But seriously,
I just joined the forum as i have purchased my new beast, a December 2010 D40 STX Dual Cab Petrol - Silver Lightning.

I got a fair few of the Nissan options including:
Alloy Bar (The good looking one... Pics to come!)
Rear Sports Bar c/w Tonneau to suit
Genuine Driving Light Harness (Choosing lights now.... which is what brought me here!)
Mats/plastics etc
Rhino Roof Racks (To be fitted)
Tonneau to suit no rear bar (if i remove it)
Tinted Windows.

And I've Added a RHINO Linings Spray on tub liner (beats the pants off the Nissan rubbish offered!)
And some lighting to be added for rearward illumination of the tray!

A couple of things i've noticed (and again one of the things i've searched here) are the standard headlights are very poor (Coming from an AU falcon who's lights were above average!), and well... I'm loving everything else!

Look forward to saying Gday and hopefully sharing a few ideas and stories.

Cheers!
Tiny.

Gday Scotty,

Thanks for the welcome mate!
I'm tossing up all these options at the moment, I'm a little concerned at the legality of the HID upgrade, and i was curious how the High-Beam would work! I think HID are only single globes? (i.e 55w HID would be great for the low beam, but i would loose all high beam function?)

I should also say that i've had a bit of experience tinkering with cars, I built (and re-built... and re built!) the HQ Monaro in my Avatar as a street/drag car, and i've got a bit of a grasp on electricals.
I'm not *too* scared to give most things a go, so I will be tinkering with the Nav, I just want to keep everything legal and in warranty!

Thanks again for the welcome
Cheers!

Hi Tiny
Welcome to the forum
Stock headlight globes are crap.
I installed plus Sylvania Nightbreaker 50 globes in mine and they arent bed at all now and totally legal.
The legality of HID conversions is dubious at best
I can tell you HID cnversions are defectable in the ACT and have heard they are hitting on them in NSW as well.The D40 multi reflector headlights arent designed for HID.

Gday Aussie Frontier,

Thanks for the advise mate, It's all appreciated!

I have a mate who sells auto electrical gear, and he recommended the Narva upgrades ( I cant recall which model off the top of my head, but I'll give them a go!) I think they might be the Platinum series.

My other question was regarding the IPF Fat Boy globes, They are a higher wattage globe and i dont know how legal they are or if the Standard wiring loom can handle the 80W low-beam draw!

Thanks again for the info, It's certainly a learning curve!

Cheers!

Well 55/65 is the legal limits as far as I know but I really cant see anyone ever picking up higher wattage globes. However I would be upgrading the wiring loom if going higher wattage.
I did the H4 80/100 upgrade years ago in my XB and fried the crap outa the headlight switch .Upgraded that with relays then fried the connectors onto the globes themselves. Higher current will heat up any loose connections and from there its all downhill.
Being a sparky for 20 years I saw heaps of exxy gear fried due to loose connections

I recently upgraded my head lights with the 6800 HID's, kits are so cheap now, $110 here, pretty easy to install, hardest part is removing the air filter and battery to install correctly. I had gone to the phillips bulb upgrade before, had nothing but trouble with them blowing on corrugated roads. The difference in lighting at night on the highway is awsome, total recomend them 100%.Then I added a pair of Hella Rallye 4000 compact zenons, was recomended from auto sparky. They are awsome but would prefer to of gotten one of each, spead, pencil. as both are pencil, you need the spread.

Thanks for the posts guys!
I hear ya about dodgey wiring connections aussie frontier, I've seen my fair shir of shoddy work including this pearler cut from the main power line of my HQ dash.
Dodgey_Wiring.JPG

No, I didnt cable tie them together to keep them.. THAT is how they joined the wiring when bypassing the ammeter!

So yeah, I'm *REALLY* Cautious and very anal about getting wiring right, Especially on my new beast!

Thanks for the heads up Maverick1, I too am thinking about the Rallye 4000s, but i was going to get both spreaders, as i think that would be enough light out front anyway and i agree, I like to have the spread!

Thanks again guys, Great info and i look forward to checking out more about these trucks!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back