engine noise when turning off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodska

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

first time posting, long time reader, and i apologise if this just goes on and on. back in march this year i purchased a turbo diesel 09 D40 RX with 94000km on the clock everything was going great absolutely love the rig. one day when i turned her off i heard this really annoying sound coming from the engine bay, can only describe it as a whir or a dying cow trying to moo (hopefully someone knows what i mean if not ill try record the sound later). anyway i thought nothing of it then it happened again it will happen most of the time but generally not after a really long trip say 150km or more, not that i have experienced yet anyway. it started happening around say 96000km and im almost at the 98k now haven't bothered going to the nissan dealer in town because they couldn't even fit leaf springs properly so not going to trust them anymore. so i was hoping someone here might know whats up or i will have to wait till i get to more trusted nissan mechanic.

Thanks for any help

its coming from the actual motor i couldn't really pin point where abouts but i believe its coming from the passenger side. also there are no strange sounds starting up or while running

I get a similar noise to. I've put it down to the vents closing off to the fresh air. could be wrong tho

D40 does have the vacuum line noise in the dash. Its the air vent control mechanism. Could it be this?

is it there when you turn your ignition all the way on but not not start it?

i dont get the sound turning on its only when turning off the engine

D40 does have the vacuum line noise in the dash. Its the air vent control mechanism. Could it be this?

i do get that sound as well but its very different also when adjusting where the airflow comes from, i will pop the hood and try and record the sound from outside the car

The EGR valve makes a far bit of noise. you can hear it when you switch the engine off or go to full reds then ingnition off etc. Hope this helps.

By your description id be going egr aswell. I put a block platein mine then noticed it tunrns out it was allways there. Sort of a wouring noise

Yeah it is definitely a wouring kind of noise, so if i put one of those egr blanking plates in does that stop it at all or just one of those things you just put up with?

I think its just standard. I only noticed mine after putting in the block plate but from what i can gather it was always there i just never noticed it before

Turbo noise
I actually had another noise on the left side of the engine and found the alternator clutch was noisy,I had my wife rev the engine then turn off the key and with my torch I could see the alternator shaft still spinning and a high pitched noise coming from it,I replaced it and all the noise has gone

Latest posts

Back