Engine care

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trav1987

Reaction score
I am just wondering as i am getting a new crate engine dropped in this week what everyones opinnions would be for run in times servicing general care. I have basic ideas however i am deff not a guru.. I have read in other threads getting it serviced every 5-10k km .. Would that just mean getting under and changing oil at that time is there other things i should do??

The single most important thing you can do for a turbocharged engine is to let the turbocharger cool after a hard run - and that means either driving gently for the last few km, or letting the car idle for a minute or two. Shutting down a hot turbocharger causes oil to form deposits in the bearings as it cooks from the heat of the turbo, then when the bearings self-destruct and shred the compressor wheel, the broken bits find their way into your motor and it's another new engine you'll be seeking.

Diesels have a lot of blow-by and the engine oil turns a dirty black fairly quickly after a change, which encourages some people to change the oil every 5,000km. With modern oils you'll find that they're still doing a great job of lubricating the engine at 10,000km so really the service interval is a matter of both personal preference and your financial capacity to do it. At the very least you'd do oil + filter.

Checking an owner's handbook for the service intervals and following those would be a good guide. There are other things that have to be done from time to time, like radiator coolant, air filters etc.

If you are looking for a good first mod which will provide a small performance improvement and a HUGE amount of protection for the motor, consider a front-mount intercooler. The FMIC will catch chunks of turbo, but will also lower the temperature of the charged air - which also causes MORE air molecules to be inside the cylinder when the valves close and thus allowing better combustion = more power. It's not a huge difference but it'll be there.

Another mod you might consider is a catch can - to remove the oil from the blow-by gases being returned to the engine's intake.

also EGR blanking plate + butterfly mod. Drops temp, reduces lag.
As for fuel system, i run chem tech or some form of diesel additive through every tank. It may seem excessive but its approx $3 extra per tank.
May help if you get a bad batch of fuel.
As for results. I can run (but i dont) my chip on the highest setting with 17psi and not get smoke. Turbo and fuel system are working well together.

also run a engine flush every 10k with filters change, Oil stays cleaner for longer.

O and boost and EGT gauges. Important if you want to be able to directly communicate with your engine.

Latest posts

Back