egr problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellhound

Reaction score
i hav done the egr n butterfly mod i hav had it done for about 8 miunths n its all good. the only problem this the pipe that is attached to the exhaust broke atthe weld so i took it off n blocked. the real problem is i went camping with a mate who is n x head mechanic at nissan n he said my engeine wont last 2 years because i blocked the egr n also he said it wont run properly because of the fuel ratio wont be right n also it wont last becasue it will take for ever to warm up in the morning n it will wear out the motor guickly. i just wont to know if u guys hav any drama with this as of yet?

Mine's not a D22, but I know a little about how the EGR works and I'm by the sounds of it, your mate is just trying to convince you to bring the engine back to standard.

EGR is introduced to your engine as a trick, really. It dampens the combustion so that the temperature of combustion is reduced. At higher combustion temperatures, the process produces more oxides of nitrogen which are a dangerous greenhouse gas (and aren't collected for use by dentists, which may be the main reason).

Preventing the exhaust gas from being used does NOT "fully combust" the fuel. Only a small portion of the exhaust gas is recirculated in any case, and by not allowing the full combustion process to occur, there are more particulates left in the exhaust stream (unburnt fuel or incompletely burnt fuel). The reduction in combustion means a reduction in power, and therefore you need more fuel input to achieve the same amount of power - thus EGR = a small, sometimes noticeable reduction in power and economy.

I say "sometimes" because it's not always obvious. The differences are not great, my own vehicle has improved half a litre per hundred kilometres, feels like there's a small improvement in turbo spooling and a marginal improvement in apparent power. It's more perceived than factual - I didn't dyno the thing, so can't conclusively say, but I do record all fuel usage so those figures aren't a guess.

Will the higher combustion temp do any damage? Hopefully not.

ya mates full of crap.

sorry.

its a diesel, theres no fuel ratio to worry about. its very difficult to run them too lean.
the egr is off when the engine is cold so it makes no difference what so ever to engine warm up.
mines been blocked for 3-4 (?) years now with no problems. oil is substantially better, the crud in the manifold has not got any worse and it doesn't blow puffs of smoke like the bosses ute.
basically your mate has no friggen idea on diesels.

Sure it may run a fraction bit hotter but since its intercooled the EGT temps are probably now lower then a standard ZD30.

It should be fine.

Dave.

as far as combustion temps go, full throttle high rpm is when the combustion temps will be the hottest and EGR is off in the situation anyway. so combustion temp is pretty much insignificant.

I have a water temp gauge on my D22 and the temp has dropped about 10-15 deg F since I blocked mine. Not sure why but it seems to be running sweet as. Perhaps gauge is buggered.......

My water temps have dropped slightly since doing the mods as well, to be expected.

I have a water temp gauge on my D22 and the temp has dropped about 10-15 deg F since I blocked mine. Not sure why but it seems to be running sweet as. Perhaps gauge is buggered.......

that would be expected. at cruise coolant temp will be a bit lower.
cooltant temps and combustion temps are two different things.

I should have prefaced the reason for using EGR with something stronger than "this is a trick".

Next time I'll just say "this is the bullshit being peddled by Nissan as an excuse for rooting the motor".

Might not make too many friends with the nancy boys, net nannies or over in Fred Nile's camp, but I'm not sure Fred drives a Navara.

Latest posts

Back