EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mate. Just kicked it over and gave it a boot in neutral (around 2500rpm) after she warmed up - no CEL light. Thanks again. I'll take her for a drive tomorrow and see what the difference is.

Of the approximately 91 EGR threads, thought this looked as good as any.

After purchasing the plate from a fellow forum member about 2 years ago or more, ended up waiting until warranty had expired and installed the plate last weekend.

Well I will be buttered on both sides. The change is indescribable, if only for the fact I haven't noticed one :rofl2:

I usually wouldn't know if my ar$e was on fire and this is no different. The one thing I think has changed is the LPH figure on the Ultragauge is giving falsely increased numbers?

I have been making other changes lately so maybe that his the reason that it is difficult to notice?

You could try taking the plate back out again and see what the LPH figures change to.

EGR is exhaust gas. It's like eating your own crap - it won't kill you unless you eat it exclusively, but your body won't get enough vitamins/minerals/sugars/salts to keep you going as well as you could if you just had a normal diet. Yes, not the nicest of analogies but it's quite accurate.

Removing the exhaust - allowing the combustion to be as close to ideal as possible - should make the engine produce a little more power for the same amount of input (fuel). At best it's a marginal difference because in reality there's not a huge amount of EGR going in.

Your engine is also swilling its exhaust through the PCV. If your rings are a little tired I guess there might be extra blow-by ... a catch can and venting the balance would remove that, although it's a nasty circumstance to be caught doing that.

Thanks Tony but I will leave it in now.

The Ultragauge needs recalibrating for distance and I have been adjusting figures by 6% since the change in tyre size. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any of those dedicated odometer markers on Victorian roads. Went past one on the way back from Canberra a few months ago but by the time I noticed it was too late.

Even when first installing the gauge they recommend that the distance is calibrated and it was never done. With all the changes lately I am just going to have to start at step one, calibrating the distance and then re-set for fuel consumption. Even calibrating distance using the GPS, while not ideal, will be better than nothing. Can't keep manually manipulating the gauge to make up for changes, just to get the LPH right.

No doubt the EGR mod does make a difference but the change in feel with the chip probably masks any gains made from the EGR.

It is odd that the mod would have any effect on the Ultragauge LPH figures. I must stress that it has not increased consumption, it is just that the gauge is wrong.

At least from what I could see though the minute gap when the plate was installed, there didn't seem to be any sticky, sludgy muck.

Anyway as someone said, "Every little bit helps said the monkey when he piddled in the sea."

EDIT: As of 10.5.14 it appears that the EGR mod has noticeably reduced consumption.

Last edited:
If your garage is up-to-date (and I must say there's something to be said for that kind of suspension :rofl2:) then your tyres will be under-reading the distance by 5.3%, if that helps you out.

Yes use sensor safe sealant that will tolerate the heat or buy at least one more gasket if you choose to reuse the old one, otherwise buy two.

Egr mod done. I used a piece of exhaust gasket and cut to shape. More power earlier in the rev range, less smoke and better fuel economy. Only down side is the interior heater takes a little longer to kick in hot.

Ive done the EGR mod after the dreaded "loss of power and lots of black smoke"... The valve its self had snapped off its shaft, owing to the two tiny arsed fusion welds holding it on. So after I re tig welded it on I also took the time to slip a 1.2mm S/S blanking flange in.
Well all I can say is its transformed the spool up better than I expected. I have been in the drivers seat of this truck for the better part of 160 000 km since new, and this is honestly the best it has ever accelerated.

EGR mod complete

EGR Mod done maybe a small increase in power down low, heaps less smoke on hard acceleration and about 0.5 litres per 100km saved.

Thats the spot...here are mine uploadfromtaptalk1410333955735.jpg
Mine looks like that because i removed the complete egr pipe

Im about to do this mod this weekend, Im going to remove the whole pipe but what do you do with the 2 hoses that are connected to it?

And also, did you guys add any additives after the mod to clean the motor?

Last edited:
I've just put in my EGR block. When I had the pipe off, I noticed the 20c coin size hole was almost completely blocked by black sooty crap. I could barely fit my pinky in without pushing a chunk of crap into my manifold.
The engine has done just over 200k km and I shudder to think how much crap is in my manifold treatening to come loose and go into the engine.

At the same time I have put in an oil catch can.
When I disconnected the original hose from the air intake end, oily gunk litteraly dripped out. I ran a pullthrough down the inside of the 18inch pipe and got about a teaspoon of gunk out.
With all new hose installed with the catch can, I can check to make sure this stays clear.

I am concerned about the exhaust residue in the inlet manifold.
What is the easiest and safest way of removing this, or, should I just leave it?

With the catch can fitted and no further soot going in, that stuff is eventually going to dry out. It should solidify and stay where it is for a time - but vibration will eventually loosen it.

It would be worth extracting the gunk. The fastest way is removing the inlet manifold (replace the gasket before reinstallation) but you could use an inspection camera and some wadding. I'd probably try that before removing the manifold myself. Access via the charge air hose at the front of the manifold.

Hey All, after skimming this thread, I'm keen to do this mod. I'm thinking I'll just buy a plate off ebay. As for gaskets to seal it, where do I get those from? Bursons or similar? What do I ask for?

Latest posts

Back