EGR Mod: Best thing you can do - Here's why!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good read this one.

Personally, I have not noticed any performance increase per say, with this mod and I'd like too see some dyno results to prove me otherwise,
though the sole reason I did the mod was to stop that filthy collection of sludge collecting in my intake, so I am more than happy to have my engine breathe easier without an ongoing/increasing restriction in the intake and incidently no EG polluting the intake charge.
Win win for my engine.

:cheers!:

Good read this one.

Personally, I have not noticed any performance increase per say, with this mod and I'd like too see some dyno results to prove me otherwise,
though the sole reason I did the mod was to stop that filthy collection of sludge collecting in my intake, so I am more than happy to have my engine breathe easier without an ongoing/increasing restriction in the intake and incidently no EG polluting the intake charge.
Win win for my engine.

I doubt you'd see higher peak figures, as EGR isn't active during full throttle. It would be hard to measure on the dyno, given that it is only active on part throttle, and dynos aren't designed to measure such conditions.

Have you noticed it to be smoother before boost, and more responsive on highway cruising?

The benefit is rather subtle, however.

yes it does. it would fail EURO standards if it didn't.
of the top of my head the manual says it doesn't run EGR when at full throttle or when cold or overheating. otherwise EGR is on regardless of boost.

As per the quote from the manual.

- High engine speed (aka, probably over 2500/3000 rpm, which is when it makes boost)

- Full throttle (pretty much the only time a turbo makes boost).

Don't believe me? Chuck a boost gauge on...

I tend to disagree. It all depends on vehicle speed, engine load, what gear you're in.... Probably pretty true for first gear, and maybe second to a lesser degree, but in third/fourth/fifth my 2.5 spools up quite low in the rev range (anywhere from 1800-2000rpm) with only half throttle. It's probably not full boost, but you can definately feel and hear it. Throw a heavy trailer on, and it's on boost nearly all the time even at half throttle.

Good read this one.

Win win for my engine.

Same results/reasons for me.

- Full throttle (pretty much the only time a turbo makes boost)

Not 100% reliable with a lot of the new VNT jobs. Wether it is for performance reasons or as talked about in this thread, to give some positive pressure between the exhaust and the inlet to make EGR work, a lot of these engines make boost at light load. ZD30 powered Patrols appear to run up to about 16PSI in highway cruise conditions.

- High engine speed (aka, probably over 2500/3000 rpm, which is when it makes boost)

- Full throttle (pretty much the only time a turbo makes boost).

Don't believe me? Chuck a boost gauge on...

mines ZD30 but they all operate roughly the same.
on falt road boost at 100kmh cruise in 5th gear is 9-12psi, 60kmh 5th gear 1-3psi, down hill under fuel cut (no fuel being injected) at ~2500rpm 1-2psi.

small turbo diesels are pretty much on boost most of the time unless going downhill in low revs.
don't forget is your measureing and EGR is open then boost is a fair bit lower due to the amount of exhaust gas going back into the intake.

Latest posts

Back