Why Taller grill on 140kW/450nm. Increase airflow to cooler?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTurbo

Reaction score
i have noticed that the 140kw 450nm navara d40 has a taller grill and slightly different bumper.
Admitingly I first thought this is for aesthetics purposes. But upon closer inspection this 30mm taller grill would increase direct air to intercooler? The added height appears to be in the lower part of grill where the cooler is. I don't have my car with me this week, but from memory on my 128kw version some of the cooler is hidden Behind bottom chrome grill and bumper.

Was this changed to Increasing cooler efficiency with the increased power output?

I am tempted to test this theory by removing grill and measuring intake temps before and after. I would personally have to move my winch controller as that would not help with air flow in my situation and neither would spot lights.

Has anyone got any front shot pics of the grill/cooler on the 140kw version they can share To compare? I want to know how much of cooler is exposed when looking straight on?
Does anyone know of hand if they changed cooler size and positioning between 128kw and 140kw versions?

I can't help but wonder why many of us, especially towers, are chasing more power by putting bigger annoying exhausts, bigger intercoolers, re maps and chips. I don't think they increased exhaust size on the 140kw version. I get they did some more things like head work and increase fuel pressure, and remaps.
My question is, did increasing grill height contribute to increase cooler efficiency/exposure/airflow? This would be more critical in keeping intake temps down on hotter days. Don't think cooler days would matter much, but engineers need to test up to around 46oC + for Australian conditions.

Thoughts?

Front shoot

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1440145962303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1440145962303.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 75
Not sure if this will help

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1440146160800.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1440146160800.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts