drove 80ks on the tar in 4x4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big zetor

Reaction score
Hi all today i was coming back from my property and when i got home i realized my ute was still in 4x4 my autistic daughter must of done this when i got the last gate, Grrrr hope it hasn't done any damage first noticed it doing a hard right into my driveway and the car wouldn't roll until i straightend the wheels back up then relized what had happend.

To be honest it's probably not a big deal. Once or twice will be no drama, you might have stretched the chain by some infinitesimal amount but try not to do it again!

If you're super, super concerned, drop the transfer case oil and check for metal shavings. At least you'll have peace of mind for the cost of a couple of litres of Dextron-III (I think that's what goes in there, I really ought to check).

It's not great for the transfer chain as it can stretch it. But, 80km probably hasn't killed it. So, maybe a word to the daughter about playing with switches, and let what will be be!

Nice pics from the farm BTW

Thats one thing i miss about the Triton , super select 4x4 , you can if you want drive in 4x4 all the time

might have to put some fake ones in so she can play with them, she is a very hard kid to reason with

^ I bet she is! A mate has three kids with Autism or Aspergers -- great kids, but a bloody handful.

didnt think driving 4x4 will hurt transfer case. is that for low range or high range as well? I drove 4x4 in high range at extreme rainy day tar with alot of corners

The problem is that when turning a corner (let's say a right-hand corner) the front left wheel has to travel a much longer distance than the rear right wheel. In 4HI or 4LO, the front and rear axles are essentially joined without a slippage device, and this is why in 4LO on a firm surface you can feel the car "bind up".

The only way to release the tension is for the tyres to slip (which is what happens on slippery surfaces), for the car to unbind by turning the other way, or for the transfer chain (the weakest part of the system) to stretch (and possibly break).

AWD cars have effectively a limited slip diff in the transfer case to prevent this.

in addition, should i engage 4wd on dirt road and snowy/ice condition road? i've been using about 100km all up on those conditions as well im now paranoid about this transfer case lol not to mention on tars on rainy days. i would of thought it gives traction didnt think about d40 dont have centre diff

4WD in our cars is intended to be used when there isn't enough traction in 2WD. Generally wet grass, water crossings, mud, sand, ice and snow are reasons for engaging it - otherwise I don't bother.

4WD in our cars is intended to be used when there isn't enough traction in 2WD. Generally wet grass, water crossings, mud, sand, ice and snow are reasons for engaging it - otherwise I don't bother.

thx tony appreciated for ur input. would you put on 4wd high rane on dirt road if u r travelling 80 kmh

re the 4hi and 4lo ''binding up'' the wheels due to turning circle differs from inner to outer turning wheels, i know of a way (which i will rehash, i now ive got it somewhere), that you can only engage the rear axle and isolate the front to stop this.

i have this on my to do list as when i park the van i use 4lo for added control and not to stress the clutch (have allready distroyed the dual mass flywheel!!!)

stay tuned will post up when i find it.

cheers pace.

so what actually happens if you drove 4wd constantly on non slip surface. what sort of short term and long term damage are we looking at?

Excessive tyre wear first and foremost, followed by a loose, noisy transfer chain. There's also going to be considerable strain on the entire drive train. The CVs, axles, diffs and prop shafts are fairly strong - and stronger than the chain - but they could still suffer.

You probably wouldn't notice anything for hundreds of km unless you were deliberately doing nothing but left-hand turns (or just right-hand turns).

sorry to ask so many questions but i dont like to leave it in shady area. also might help others down the track when they read this post. is it normal to feel rough changing gear in low range at low rpm? feels i need higher rev for smoother gear change or half clutching..

sorry to ask so many questions but i dont like to leave it in shady area. also might help others down the track when they read this post. is it normal to feel rough changing gear in low range at low rpm? feels i need higher rev for smoother gear change or half clutching..

The low range is supposed to reduce the gear ratio by 36 times or something like that, so you're going to feel everything amplified.

Latest posts

Back