Drive belt problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo_d40_05

Reaction score
Please, please, I need advice as the drive belts are squealing like pigs for the last two weeks. This is the third belt in 5700 kms.
I know everyone says genuine but I put in two belts, 1x dayco, to no avail.
1x gates. Both have squealed consistently about 2000 rpm then change pitch at 2500 rpm and again a higher pitch at 3000 rpm.
I just paid a local mechanic who fitted the last belt, to fit the belt today again for $100.
Still doing it.

It has to be bearings doesn't it???
The bloke didn't even use a tension gauge or check the bearings as I watched over his shoulder.
Has anyone else had this problem with belt fitting?
If you have, I would love to know how it was fixed.
How much did it cost?
Was it the bearings?
I'm really frustrated right now and would really appreciate the genuine replies on this matter as I'm worried one of the accessories will give out soon rendering my ute into basically a shitbox needing a long ass tow from Brisbane to the Gold Coast.

How many km on it? You could be on the right track with bearings, could even be grease or oil on the pulley surface so it might be worth removing the belt and degreasing the pulleys, then get some belt grip onto it after that and see. If it still does it then, look as the tensioner pulleys

Hey Stevo, I have a 2010 D40 STX with the 2.5 and my belt squeels like a pig too. I changed belts three times and pulley bearings and also the alternator clutch/pulley. I eventually found the problem by squirting a very small amount of water (a couple of drops) onto the back of the belt as it entered the centre idler pulley I think it was. Anyway the squeeling stopped immediately and all of this proved that it wasn't the bearings. So I changed the belt again and it stopped ...... for a week. Now it just comes and goes as it pleases and I can't be arsed doing anything else until I get the shits with it again. I think it may have something to do with the angle of the pulley against the back of the belt where it runs. I tried using belt squeel spray but that only made it worse. Don't stress too much and at least you have got a spare belt or two (if you kept them). The belt is easy to change yourself so don't pay for it to be done especially at $100.
Cheers

Foxy

Yeah she's got 229000 kms on her now.
I gotta get it in the garage tomorrow and check all the bearings out.
It's getting worse every day.
A bloke at work just got a new alternator on his 06 model after the pulley ****ed out and stripped the thread.
He's got 360 000 km on it though.
I'll keep ya posted on the outcome.
Thanks for the positive input fellas.
I'll have to take my wife's commodore to work Monday though I reckon if it needs new pulleys etc.
Not looking forward to driving her car, although it's nice.
It ain't the same as driving my ute...

Well I pulled the belts off. Washed all the pulleys with soapy water to get all the Nasty greasy stuff off such as wd40, belt spray and dirt then checked them all for play in the bearings (wobble side to side) and all seemed good. They all spun freely with no noise except for obvious reasons the crankshaft pulley.
Both of the tensioner pulleys probably need replacing though as they only spun about 1 turn.
Also the alternator is shot.
It's making a crackling noise even when idling.
When I give it a few revs the battery light comes on at the dash.
I can pick one up second hand for about $105-$185
Or new for around the $320-$350
Some are asking for $1300 for genuine new.
The workshop manual says its a Mitsubishi made one.
Gotta be 130A.

What ended up being the problem with your drive belt? Was it the belt or the pulleys?

Latest posts

Back