Drew's D21 Build Up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the excess would be worth more than the car! It had no rear doors, no engine, no dash at all, no front fenders, no bonnet, no steering wheel (must have had vice grips with them!) and a tub full of old oil and crap I had ripped out of the engine bay. They did me a favour really!

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on your build up actually, I'm very interested to see how you go.

You wouldnt believe it but I bought another licensed D21 with a TD27 in it for $500 with a knackered clutch about a month ago and after fixing it it got nicked from a blokes place in Morley (suburb in Perth). I had fixed the clutch out the front of his place and when I went back with the missus the next day to get it, it was gone! The bloke reckoned he thought it was me so he let them take it but it was all real dodgy. I was real pissed off and reported it stolen but it never turned up.
I got over trying to repair the good one I've got at home so I sold it with the SD25 in it and was driving the girlfriends Astra around for a bit. I still had the TD27T in the shed and I got tired of the Astra so I bought this on Friday!
IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Its got the 2.3L diesel in it (slow as a wet week!) but drives really well, air con, central locking, sunroof, brand new tyres and the interior is immaculate! So the turbo diesel is going into this one now!

ha ha yeah the bloke I bought it off put it on there with liquid nails or something. The bonnet has a few dents on it so I'll have to replace it with one I have at home anyway.

For five seconds there I considered moving to Perth, but no. All I ever hear about is stuff getting nicked and torneau covers getting slashed.

What does it transform into?

Like all D21s, a little pile of iron ore :sarcastic:

Wow, an SD23... Not surprised it's still running well but it must be a massive slug. The TD27T will be a revelation.

Wow, an SD23... Not surprised it's still running well but it must be a massive slug. The TD27T will be a revelation.

Yeah she's no race horse. Although it'll pull 3rd gear like it is in first!! It's only got 182000Kms - not bad for an 87!!

Cant wait to get the TD27T in but the house renos come first apparently!

Perth isnt bad for things like that, I think I've just been just fairly unlucky!!

Mate, you would have to have the worst luck like I've heard of, it could just be the Morley though, I used to have a vs ute and had a surfboard stolen from the tray in Kiara, justaround the corner...

what are you going to do with the old motor? i have a SD25 with 271000K's on the clock and it runs like new, but nothing has been done to it, yet.

Not sure mate, I wouldnt think I'd get too many people willing to pay money for an SD23.

I have a td27 diesel with a rooted gearbox, any ideas where I could get my hands on one. I am in Wanneroo by the way, no car theives here but they have had my stihl brushcutter off in the past. I told my missus I wish I caught them but she reasoned 25 years for murder against a second hand tool wasnt a fair trade.....ahhh wise lady.
Anyway back to the Navara, I would love it if you kept your eyes open for a gearbox for me mate as I would hate to get rid. Cheers

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here, unfortunately the engine transplant came to a grinding halt after buying a house and starting renovations!
I've done a few bits and pieces to the Nav and I'm getting ready to start up again and get the turbo diesel in.
I did find some new seats to replace the old ones after the ass fell out of them. I got them free off gumtree - they are out of a 2000 Hyundai Accent, they were in real good nick as well.

I wasn't sure if they were going to fit as the Nav seat rails arent level with each other and I thought I was going to have to make a riser for them but as it turned out the rails on the Hyundai are the same, the floor pan must be fairly similar. So all I had to do was make up a plate from 3mm galv steel so that I could bolt the nav rails to the new seats.

IMG_0198-1.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg

After that I trimmed the plates down so I could put all the plastic trim back on and hide them. They ended up suiting the car pretty well too

Seatsin1-1.jpg

I also managed to raise the front a bit after I found one of the suspension adjusting bolts had stripped itself. Once I replaced those I brought the front up a little so that the rake wasnt so bad. It will do till I can fund new control arms!

Before
SuspensionBefore.jpg

After
Suspensionafter2.jpg

The car was running fine for a while until the gearbox decided to let go! It blew 4th gear and made a hell of a whine in 1st and 2nd. Luckily I had a spare box from a wreck so with the help of Christian (Unknown on here) we ripped out the old gearbox and changed over the bell housings. I just recieved the new clutch kit today and I'll get a new thrust bearing pressed on tomorrow so hopefully I can put it back together over the weekend.

Old box
oldboxgears.jpg

You can see where the old bearing completely blew up and there was a crack in the casing

New box
newboxgears.jpg

I'm pretty sure the donor car I bought had a recond gearbox in it so I was lucky there.

Back