Dogs in V-hickles

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMofo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

About to move house and buy myself a pup (Husky), grew up with dogs so no problems there, though when i was younger we use to always have the dog in the tray or tub, rumour has it thats ill-eagle these days is this correct??
While he is a pup he will on the seat with me but when he is older i want him in the back.
Also could use an idea depending on the legalities of the question above, i`m going to custom make a steel flat bed tray (with a removable low profile rack) for the D22 and want to be able to still have my dog back there, any ideas on what i could do or build to keep him safe?? i was thinking a harness for the dog attached to a cable that runs along the head board of the tray so he can wanter back and forth from side to side, not sure if i will do this but its an idea im toying with.

Cheers steve

Yes its illegal if they arent harnessed in properley. If they have approved harnesses or in a tray cage, its all good. I carry our Boxer up front with a chest harness on that connects to the seat belt that doesnt hold them uncomfortably, but holds them firm in case of an accident.

if they can jump out and harm them selves its a no no , and same as what Cobez says if they are in the cab they need to be secured

There's not "approved" harnesses for dogs. A dog must be "restrained" when in the tray of a ute, and also when in the passenger compartment of any vehicle.

When contained within a canopy or other secure compartment which is not the passenger compartment, it is legal. However if a dog can get a substantial part of its body outside the compartment (as per your picture with the open window sparra), then that is regarded as unrestrained.

I can undestand the issue of having a dog (especially a small one) running around the cab and the need to have it "restrained" but a larger dog idont see it as being a huge problem if its not. Plus in a tub shouldne be much of an issue either. The old boy did it with all our dogs and only had one fall off and that was with a tray back.

i did find this after a bit of research though, what do you guys think??

The RTA advises that police can fine a driver and issue demerit points if an animal is causing the driver to be not in full control of the vehicle, or if they are driving with a dog on their lap. The penalties are three demerit points and $338 (more in a school zone).
The RSPCA can also issue fines under The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. If an animal is injured because it was unrestrained, owners face up to six months’ jail and fines of up to $5,500. Carrying dogs untethered on the backs of Utes can land drivers with fines of $500.
Dogs can also travel in the open cargo area of a wagon type vehicle behind a cargo barrier.

this was in a SMH article in 2009 - The legislation, which stipulates that motorists must not drive a vehicle with an animal on their lap or preventing them from having proper control of the car, carries a penalty of three demerit points and $338, rising to $422 in a school zone.

Advertisement A NSW Police spokeswoman said of the 170 offenders, four had been caught in school zones.

If an animal is injured as a result of being unrestrained, owners also face up to six months' jail and fines of up to $5500 under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. The RSPCA managing inspector, Matthew French, said that even the Australian tradition of conveying dogs untethered on the back of utes could land drivers with on-the-spot fines of $500 under the Act.

''It is something we very commonly see,'' Mr French said. ''It is an offence to have a dog on a moving vehicle on a public street unless it's restrained.

''It is just such an incredibly dangerous thing to do, to have a dog unrestrained on the back of a vehicle. You cannot transport an animal in any way that inflicts pain.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-get-hot-over-the-collar-20091024-he0j.html#ixzz2uK89ib8f

"You cannot transport an animal in any way that inflicts pain.'' - really how does having a dog in the back of your ute or sedan or wagon cause "pain"? unless your driving like a complete idiot or have a lack of room or too much room even, then im sure a dog will be ok to travell. Just seems like a little too much over regulation to me. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Ok. Interesting. I know of one bloke who was booked for having a dog unrestrained in the car the cop told him "it's not for the dogs benefit but if your in a crash and emergency services are there it's protect them as a dog in crash that's injured can become very aggressive and endanger them."

Don't have a bit of rope that can move!

Best way is to have a rope in the centre of the tray, and make it only long enough that the dog can just reach the edge, but too tight for dog
To go over the edge.

Many people make it loose for dog to get rift around the side, unfortunately I have seen how this ends up. Normally it is with the dog getting hung by its neck and dragged against either the road or tyre.

Don't have a bit of rope that can move!

Best way is to have a rope in the centre of the tray, and make it only long enough that the dog can just reach the edge, but too tight for dog
To go over the edge.

Many people make it loose for dog to get rift around the side, unfortunately I have seen how this ends up. Normally it is with the dog getting hung by its neck and dragged against either the road or tyre.

That was my intention to have it short enought to stop him hanging himself over the edge but able to move side to side, probably not more benefit to having it slide along a cable to securing it to the centre. Actually its probably easier to have it secured to the centre.

I can undestand the issue of having a dog (especially a small one) running around the cab and the need to have it "restrained" but a larger dog idont see it as being a huge problem if its not.
Just seems like a little too much over regulation to me. Just my two cents.

I disagree very strongly.

Just before Christmas 2013 I saw a young guy in a nice Holden one tonner overtake on a 4 lane (2 each way) section of the New England Highway just out of Muswellbrook, he had a Boxer dog on the passanger front seat. he had just gone past my sister and partner in thier Landcruiser towing a 24 ft van, all good everyone happy.

Then without warning he swerves from the right lane (fast lane) into the left lane, then he retruns straight back into the right lane, then momments later he takes a huge swerve/turn to the right, crosses both oncoming lanes, drops over the edge, takes out a section of fence, then back up the bank to cross all 4 lanes and end up on the other side of the road facing backwards.

He hit no other car, how I dont know, it was busy, cars were all over the place, he had no control at all.......... the reason?

His dog decided it wanted to go out the drivers window to get whatever was in the paddock, he could have killed himself and many other, the dog was not restrained in any way and cost this guy his ute, as it was rooted, it could have cost so much more.

I cannot think of a reason any dog, let alone a large one would need to be in the front seat of a car, they are just to unpredictable. I have owned MANY MANY dogs, they ride in the back, or they dont come, easy.

I know guys who have been fined (by a ranger) for an unrestrained dog in the tray of a ute, as the rope allowed the dog to go too far over the edge.

Yeah my dogs are restrained regardless of in the cab or in the tray.

In the tray it has always been tied with a short rope from the centre. Gives them enough room to just out their head out. But no more.

If they're in the cab I'll loop their leads around a seatbelt so they can't walk around. As the times I haven't done this the Mrs dog tries to jump onto laps.

Not sure if the rules here in WA are the same or different but basically as others have said.

On ANY seat in the vehicle, the dog must be restrained, preferably with a harness just so it can't choke itself. This is front seats, back seats wherever.

But the dog is not required to be restrained in the rear compartment of a wagon, whether or not you need a cargo/dog barrier is perhaps a state to state variance thing.

On the back of the ute, the dog must be either restrained or sufficiently enclosed (meaning the majority of it's body is restrained).

If you want them on the back of a tray back ute, and you are willing to go the extra mile and build something suitable, get a dog cage mate.

Google Image search "dog cage ute" and you should get a heap of examples and ideas. Be sure to include some shade for the dog in summer.

On teh subject of readily available water.....we travel a lot with our dogs. Whenever we go somewhere with our caravan, they come with us. So having water available for them in the back of the ute (under canopy) was imperative.

I picked up a cheapo large round plastic "tupperware type" container from a discount shop and cut a hole in the lid approx 1/2 the diameter of the lid itself.

Half-fill the container with water.

The dogs can easily get their noses in there to drink, but the large remaining lip around the edge stops the water slopping out.

Tappet that's food for thought I never thought of it from that point of view.
Chris I should have been clearer I agree with you that I don't see a reason for a dog to be in the front seat either for any reason. So I was thinking more the back seat and in the tub/tray.
Doc, I actually have a water jerry can in the tub already and was going to hook it up to a hose and tap for camping purposes, this would also allow me to bring a dish for the dogs too.
Lord I think it's pretty much the same here in NSW just worded a little different as each state like to think they are individuals.

The hardest part will be shade the only way would be a cage, to be honest though the dog won't be with me everywhere only camping trips and down to the farm. I know a cage is safest for the back but not really practical for storage, I'll have to ponder it further looks like I'll be buying a harness for him though.

Why do you need a reason? Best shotgunner ever. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393392392.953813.jpg

HAHA good looking dogs there, are they pure bred shepherds??
i guess each to their own in that regard Razor, just not the way i was bougt up and to honest iv not owned a dog for 10 years-ish, not one that iv travelled in my own car with, so i guess a lot to be learned on the job so to speak. what breed is he/she?? heeler?

HAHA good looking dogs there, are they pure bred shepherds??<snip>

Belgian Shepherds mate. Top animals. Always had German Shepherds growing up, but when I discovered this breed, there was no going back for me.

Haha it's not the way I was brought up either but I carry heaps of random gear in the back that I can't always stop from moving around so it's not really all that safe for the dog. 90% of the time he just sleeps in the footwell, he hops up on the seat to talk to any hot girls we stop next to at the traffic lights. He is a kelpie.

Latest posts

Back