diff breathers??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justo

Reaction score
Hi guys, just after some advice as on the weekend I went through a creek at a depth that allowed water to come into the cab, now I went to my brother in laws work shop to dump the oil from the rear diff and transfer. Everything was fine no water got in, so just refilled them with new oil. No water in air box either.
So my question is do I need to extend my rear diff breather and count myself lucky on this occasion or is the standard breather satisfactory for low level crossings

Cheers Justo

just to be safe id extend the rear diff as all the other breathers are long enough for low level crossings. the gearbox ones go up the firewall and front diff goes up near the airbox

just to be safe id extend the rear diff as all the other breathers are long enough for low level crossings. the gearbox ones go up the firewall and front diff goes up near the airbox

Yeah I thought it might be worth doing, is the rear breather easy to remove? And is it as easy as using a small hose clamp and hose then running upto a filter of some sort.

Cheers Justo

There's one under the air box. Front digg

One in the rear axle

Three on the transfer case. Lay on the drivers side and slide your hand up and around until you feel three rubber hoses. Follow them to the front to a metal bracket

There's one under the air box. Front digg

One in the rear axle

Three on the transfer case. Lay on the drivers side and slide your hand up and around until you feel three rubber hoses. Follow them to the front to a metal bracket

Thanks mate

So which breathers need to be extended? Rear diff and transfer?

Front & rear diffs, gearbox & transfer.
Either one of the second two have 2 pipes. Cant remember excatly.
I have a 4 piece set in the top of the engine bay. whichever is double i have a thicker tube running down to a splitter that links both

So all need to be extended

Nothing needs to be done but it's never a bad idea if your going thru water or mud or whatever
If your going to run the rear diff breather to the engine bay and do away with the tiny spike breather on it, your pipe will be running past the next three to be done. . Just as easy while your under there me thinks. Theres one already up at a decent hight, just under air box but i ran that to the same spot as the rest.

I'm no where close bro but this is the kit. Great guy, i ended up helping him arrange the kit a little better when for the d40. It's all push/pull type fittings. VERY EASY install

Although looking at the pix again there, the kit i picked up is a bit different. Maybe just a generic breather pic?

The kit i got had three kind of push in spikes-they pushed into the existing hoses and had the push push fitting on the other end.
And therewas also a double

Last edited:
no need to run the rear diff breather in the engine bay, just run it behind the tail lights...
like that
2014-04-07131533_zpsaea016a4.jpg

Latest posts

Back