Did I purchase the wrong Navara...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsgooch

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased a D40 in November. I bought the ST dual cab with 2.5 diesel. I purchased it to do off road a well as a daily driver. I was wondering if I decide to go up to Cape York would this vehicle get me there and back or should I have purchased the ST-X with the 6 cylinder? This is my first 4WD and I think it will do the majority of what I want to do but I was wondering for a big trip like the Simpson Desert or Cape Your would it be up to it. I would really love to here some feedback from people who own the ST with the 2.5L Diesel.

Thanks!
rsgooch

It will go anyplace the 550 will mate you just have less grunt if doing the cape you need damm good tyres a lift kit and a snorkle good luck with your adventures.

plenty of 4x4's with way less power then the D40 have been doing trips like the "cape' and "simo" for allot longer then we care to think about and allot of those 4x4's are still doing those same trips.
Look at the old Hilux's with the 2.8 gutlux motor and the early Fj cruisers (like old TOOTHY's green POS) or the 60 series (none turbo)
Patrols with the 4.2's the D22 are a more then capable 4x4 and they do all those trips with ease BUT have less power then your 2.5lt D40.
In actual fact a few members on here that own the V6 550 dont like how the v6 gear box works especially going down big hills in low range and have also found the traction control set up a little bit of a hindrance at times, like in sand.
I would be more worried about clearance, TIRES and most definitely UNDER BODY PROTECTION and a SNORKEL

Last edited:
As Nathan has mentioned- tyres and under body protection. High quality shocks and slightly higher (better) springs should be on the short list to. The standard ones are pretty crap but they are on most new 4WD's these days.

A Snorkel could be handy insurance but not a necessity

The OTT should be carefully considered it can be a good way to bugger up your new 4by along way from nowhere. If you do, take the cheat tracks and crossings where you can and totally forget the suicide drop at Shotgun Ck.

I purchased a D40 in November. I bought the ST dual cab with 2.5 diesel. I purchased it to do off road a well as a daily driver. I was wondering if I decide to go up to Cape York would this vehicle get me there and back or should I have purchased the ST-X with the 6 cylinder? This is my first 4WD and I think it will do the majority of what I want to do but I was wondering for a big trip like the Simpson Desert or Cape Your would it be up to it. I would really love to here some feedback from people who own the ST with the 2.5L Diesel.

Thanks!
rsgooch

You will have no trouble on Cape York. The D40 (with the 2.5) is as capable as any other unmodified ute. Attached pics are of my trip to Cape York Jul-Sep 2012 and I towed my 1.5 tonne off road camper.

One thing though......DO NOT do this trip without first fitting (1) All Terrain or better tyres and (2) Underbody bash plates.

Attachments

• IMG_4214.jpg
    IMG_4214.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Self_Recovery_Navara.jpg
    Self_Recovery_Navara.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
I fail to see how a v6 STX would be any better then a 2.5? where does that logic even come from :hmmmm2:

In fact I bet the 2.5 would be better on account of being slighly lighter and probably using less fuel.

In a way, having a little bit more power there when you need or want it, is a good thing, but! you have to know how the control it and use it cause if you just go around flooring it everywhere you'll just get yourself into trouble not out of trouble.
In saying that there is nothing wrong with the 2.5ltr motor. it has plenty of power and for the most part is very reliable. Again in saying that I personally believe the motor is a little small for a 1800kg vehicle. it's great for the D22 but always said the D40 should have had a V6.
But the 2.5 will get you to the cape and back no problem.

In fact I bet the 2.5 would be better on account of being slighly lighter and probably using less fuel.

My new STX uses less fuel then my old 2.5ltr STX.

Like they said - tyres, lift, underbody protection is a must. So are 4 recovery points (one on each chassis rail front and rear). Winch up front if you want one (steel bullbar is a great addition for outback travel, don't forget you'll need HD coil springs up front).

I think if the D40 suits your wants, with a little protection and relatively minor adjustments it'll suit your needs as well. It's quite a capable vehicle.

If you have a habit of tramping it to get out of loose/slippery stuff, I strongly recommend diff lockers front and rear - goes for any vehicle really, but the D40's front diff isn't the strongest on the market.

You will have no trouble on Cape York. The D40 (with the 2.5) is as capable as any other unmodified ute. Attached pics are of my trip to Cape York Jul-Sep 2012 and I towed my 1.5 tonne off road camper.

One thing though......DO NOT do this trip without first fitting (1) All Terrain or better tyres and (2) Underbody bash plates.

I seem to recall reading about a D40 that ended up on the back of a truck during their Cape adventure. Sometimes it is the little things that let us down, regardless of vehicle/make and how much preparation.

I seem to recall reading about a D40 that ended up on the back of a truck during their Cape adventure. Sometimes it is the little things that let us down, regardless of vehicle/make and how much preparation.

True and that was my ute.....but those sorts of things can happen to anyone. That I lost a couple of ltrs of fluid from the auto transmission due to a cracked filler tube....the guys that looked at this prior to going to Nissan for repairs told me that in their opinion the crack had been there for quite a while and the corrugations of the Cape just took it that bit futher. Also that incident happened on the last day near Cape Tribulation on the way into Mossman. Just one of those things really or in the words of Forrest Gump.....Shit Happens.

That aside the ute performed exceptionally well in the tough stuff.

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone for their opinions and feedback. I am happy to hear that I have bought the right truck. My next purchase for the Navara is a lift. I will probably give Zordo a go as I have heard a lot of good things about his work. Once again Thanks for the input and I look forward to many years with my Navara and lurking around this board for info!

No, you haven't purchased the wrong truck, you'll be fine. I won't reiterate what has already been advised as it is all completely accurate.

Here's something interesting. In the last 3 trips out I've had a few mates, trip 1, a 105 series Cruiser got stuck, the 40 got through. Trip 2 an IFS Hilux got stuck, the 40 got through. Trip 3 a 2010 Troopy got stuck, the 40 got through.

You'll be fine.

The wrong Navara

Nearly 12 months ago I purchased a D22 thinking that it was a much better vehicle for offroad operation having heard some of the usual horror stories about smashed sumps etc but then at Camerons Corner not long after I bought it a group of people were there 1 in particular driving a D40. We got chatting and I asked how he went and I made the comment that he was game tackling the Simpson with basically a stock D40. He said he had no problems and pointed to another member of the outfit with a late Hilux which had a badly bent chassis, looked almost like a boomerang the bend was so bad. Just recently I went into the high country here in Vic with a few mates and again one was a stock D40ST and it handled the rocks and rough tracks, hill climbs and creek crossings as good as any one else. I am now thinking I made the wrong choice and should have bought the D40 myself as much for the extra room as well as the higher comfort levels my wife was always been a bit cranky with me for not getting the D40 and lately I have been thinking she is right.
While the D22 does the job I have never been overly happy with my previous vehicle was a Hilux SR5 so I do miss the creature comforts, with the good deals on offer at the moment I am tempted to see what sort of a deal they will do for me if I trade up

Mate - I bought an '12 D40 ST in July last year. I have put ~13,500 km since then with moderate offroading thrown in (rocks and mud). First mod was some 32" BF AT's to give more grip and lift the diff. Most recent mod has been a 2" lift. Next will be the bullbar and underbody protection. I am an ironman advocate, I reckon they give good bang for buck. Do yourself a favour - read through these forums and get to grip with the capability of your D40. It isn't a custom rock crawler and has a stupidly long wheel base but in the right hands is a capable off roader! Gear up and go!

PS heres my D40 straight after the lift. In the few weeks since the front has settled a little bit, but the rear still sits quite proud.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice truck Vigilante, did you manage to get camber adjustment right after lift, just done mine and things are a bit out.

There is no such thing as the wrong truck, everyone has different tastes and every truck has its own quirks, problems and advantages. Every truck needs a few dollars spent in places to safe guard against problems, don't buy into the patrol, jeep and Lcruiser bullet proof rubbish, seen plenty break down and seen just as many need a snatch or winch to get out.

I'm thinking about the cape in a few years. I'm a young bloke, wife and 2yo boy. We bought the d40 for the room, comfort and its always easier getting the green light if the Missus likes the car too. I've got my lift but I am going to go a bit higher to fight the long wheel base bottoming out. Under body protection is a must and a straw for your engine. Other then that they are as good as any other IFS on the market. The more I take it out on tracks the easier I find I am getting past stuff, even things ive previously gotten stuck on.

It goes with out saying but ill say it anyway. Experience is a big thing if you haven't done a lot of 4wding or even if you have best to take the new truck out a few times to get a grip of what she does off road. Money can buy you the best toys in the world but if u don't know how to use em you'll still be breaking them or getting them stuck.

If anything a slightly more cautious attitude will often make you think about a better line or alternate way and less likely to end up in a situation where you are either not going to be able to keep going that way or save you from doing damage out of dangerous driving. I'd rather be called a pussy for taking the chicken track then explain to the Missus I busted up the car trying to match testosterone levels with my mates. That and then I'm usually in place to pull the idiots out when their done getting stuck.

My mates give me stick about my nav all the time ones in a jeep, another has a cruiser. Some of em do tackle obstacles easier then I do but guess who wasn't the one getting stuck trying to show off. It's especially funny when you see where they went wrong and put up the same place with out an issue. You didn't buy the wrong truck mate, just make sure your the right driver :)

if u want more power get chip and exhaust. i think i saw on dpchip website that with dp chip u will get approx from 140 to 170kw power and from 440 to 540nm torque. so which is what just about same as v6 550's
price u need to pay for 550. u can get so much stuff with 15-23k more extra cash with buying ST instead (depend what sort of deal there was when u purchased). example. arb bullbar. snorkel. underbody. botb airlockers. canopy. all terrain tire and 2inch lift and recovery gear. and yes thats arb price. if u went with other brand prolly would cost of 1/2 to 1/3 of arb price.
anyway thats my 2cent why i went for st not stx.

Back