D40 Problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Narava D40 auto which has done 100,000 km. It has had all services done by nissan. In the last two months when driving the ute, when approaching a hill you accellerate. On three occasions now there has been a puff of white-grey smoke from the exhaust and the ute increases power in a normal manner. On three different times but also approaching a hill the ute has lost power and speed. I have had to pull over to the side of the road, stop, put it in park, turn off ignition, wait a minute, turn on key and start as though nothing has happened. As we tow a 8.5 metre 5 wheeler we have lost faith in our vehicle. Nissan have not had any answers.

i'm gonna jump in before anyone else does and welcome you to the forum, so

welcome! make sure you have a look around and make extensive use of the search feature at the top of the page,

i'm also gonna jump in with the usual banter with a "of course its got problems, its a D40!" (just some healthy local rivalry)

but i'm sorry i can't actually help you with your problem, i do hope that some who knows more about d40's can jump in with an answer though!

Yes, a first post welcome is in order! conversly, a first post intro as well.

If and what code/s are showing....to help with a diagnoses...

Has the vehicle got an oil catch can installed, has it had the EGR pipe blocked?
These may offer info into the "expected state" of the build up of carbon and crudd in both the inlet, inter-cooler and turbo manifold and connections.
The loss of power - is it dramatic or gradual?
The drive power loss may be a faulty "Stall reaction/engine protection" feature that the D40s have... basically the engine computer says time for "limp home mode". This is re-set as you described "your routine" by the side of the road.

Just my thoughts as having been a passenger in a 2007 D40 when this "limp home mode" has been activated in response to the driver stalling the vehicle.

Welcome to the forum.

The fuel pump has been problematic and shown these symptoms before. It always happens with moderate-to-hard acceleration and it's always resolved by shutting the car off and starting it again.

Specifically it appears to be the suction control valve on the bottom of the pump. Try leaving your fuel cap loose and see if the problem occurs. Nissan have generally been replacing these under warranty. They may even have an internal bulletin about them by now.

Welcome mate. I wouldn't have a guess at this stage but grey and white smoke is usually a sign of incomplete combustion. Now this can be a mechanical problem but can also come about because of fuel. I would do the easy things first like draining the tank and and replacing the fuel filter and start from there. At least you will know that side of things is in order.
Good luck!

The DPF light should come on if it's a DPF problem, but it wouldn't be the first time a problem has been "under-described"! DPF problems don't always go away with a shut-down-start-up though - usually the DPF problem persists. The SCV faults reset with a restart.

Still, getting some ECU fault codes would be handy.

I have a 2006 Narava D40 auto which has done 100,000 km. It has had all services done by nissan. In the last two months when driving the ute, when approaching a hill you accellerate. On three occasions now there has been a puff of white-grey smoke from the exhaust and the ute increases power in a normal manner. On three different times but also approaching a hill the ute has lost power and speed. I have had to pull over to the side of the road, stop, put it in park, turn off ignition, wait a minute, turn on key and start as though nothing has happened. As we tow a 8.5 metre 5 wheeler we have lost faith in our vehicle. Nissan have not had any answers.
The loss of power is sudden and you roll to a stop.

If you roll to a stop because the engine shuts down then it's a whole different kettle of fish. If it was your DPF or SCV then you'd go into "limp mode", where you can't rev beyond 2,000rpm and are limited to about 80km/h.

If you come to a stop completely then we're looking at something else. Are there any lights displaying on the instrument panel? Does the engine stop? How much fuel is in your tank when this happens? How long since the last service, and was the fuel filter changed in that service? Has the vehicle battery been changed recently? Have you done any water crossings or pressure-cleaned the engine bay?

I went into limp mode when my car hit 2000kms. I went on my mates farm and did some light 4x4 and some stick hit this little wire/chip and on the way home i could only go 40km/h full speed. cost me $250 to

We also tow a fifth wheel horse float and have been caught out a couple of times. Last week though I was over taking on flat road and same problem, had to hit hazard lights and dive off to the wrong side of the road to avoid on coming traffic.........

I have d40 with same problem & had to replace common rail & injector tubes, pressure valve on common rail u s.
shutting car down will reset the computer &valve.

Hi all,
The company i work for have a few D40 Navara's with the majority being 2007 build & two 2011 build both identical.
Both cars (2011) have been experiencing problems where the vehicle goes into "limp" mode frequently.
My older Navara (2007) only ever did this a couple of times i recall in the period i had it.
My current one (2011) is only driven by me so i can rule out "spirited driving".

They have both been back to the Dealer & both have had the ECU scanned & adjusted, as we were told there was a problem between the turbo & ECU.

The problem is ongoing & can happen at anytime so it is hard to pinpoint, and we have been advised that there is nothing more the dealer can do, with the problem being referred to Nissan for a solution but no time frame given.
Both vehicles are returning similar figures of around 9L/100km

Has any other member had similar issues?

Welcome to the forum SWS.

Yes they have, and it seems to be the suction control valve (on the fuel pump). If the problem goes away by leaving the fuel cap loose, get the valve replaced. I think FatBoy told us the valve cost $300-$400 or so.

Welcome to the forum SWS.

Yes they have, and it seems to be the suction control valve (on the fuel pump). If the problem goes away by leaving the fuel cap loose, get the valve replaced. I think FatBoy told us the valve cost $300-$400 or so.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Seeing as they are less than 12mths old i assume it will be covered under warranty, or will they try & give us the runaround due to the costs involved?

Nahh, they've been pretty good so far from all reports.

Mine's gone too, so I'll find out first-hand how they handle it soon. My fuel cap is currently loose and no dramas, unable to repeat the problem.

Latest posts

Back