D40 Front Lokka

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
suspensionflex016.jpg

3 tone unloaded will test it !!!!

Nice! Mine didn't fit... It appears the 550's have upgraded to a 4 pinion front rather than a two, they are happy too exchange it for a rear but I'm now another 300 bucks out of pocket having to pay for a workshop to pull it apart only to tell me it didn't fit...

Lokka Install - No Go

Hi Everyone, I attempted the lokka install on saturday but had to shim the diff and didn't have any shims, so I had to put the assembly back together. A note for anyone doing a lokka in a D40, make sure you have a new drivers side axle seal as you have to remove the old one to get the assembly appart.
Called Tom at 4WD System today and he is sending out the appropriate size shims in an overnight bag. Providing I can get another axle seal in time, I will have another go at the install one night this week.

At least I managed to get the suspension in. I went Blue Max 2" raised front and rear. Front is now 570mm and the rear is 580mm. Looks and feels much gooderer. Updated pics in 'my garage'.

One thing I nearly did was to leave the front diff out of the car and reassemble the front end so that I could drive it until I got the diff sorted. After having a good look at the drive shafts and so forth I couldn't see why it can't be done. As long as the font prop shaft is removed it should be fine. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Just for interest sake as I ended up putting it back together anyway.

Cheers Foxy

Hey Foxy - do you think 'shimming' will be required in all cases, or was this just something you needed to do? If all require shims - you'd think they should have sent some with the kit (especially seeing they only had another 4 months to organise them!)
Cheers

Shims wont be required in all cases. It will depend on age and wear and tear in your diff. Then correctly sized shims will need to be fitted. They wouldnt be able to suuply them because different sizes will be needed for different cases.

LOKKA's In.

For anyone who is interested in doing a LOKKA conversion on a Navara (Series 4) 2010 D40 ST-X (spain), here are a few useful hints that will make the process easier.

Prior to starting the job make sure you get a new seal for the drivers side diff output. The seal will be removed during the process to gain access to the large circlip that retains the extension drive shaft located in the drivers side extension housing. This shaft has to be removed so that you can remove the diff centre out of the diff housing.

The drivers side diff seal is Nissan P/No 40227-EA000 ($14) and you may aswell replace the other one while you are at it. The passenger side diff seal Nissan P/No 38342-EA000 ($21).

Shims - hmmmm. 'IF' when you instal the diff lock, you require shims to obtain the appropriate clearances, you will need access to a good shim supplier or call Tom at 4WD Systems who will be able to help you out. Shims are not required in all cases but, as Murphy is always watching over you, if you don't have any on hand you will need some.

To remove the front drive shafts, remove the wheel and brake caliper (without disconnecting the brake line) then remove the top steering knuckle nut and ABS wire plug. The driveshafts are then able to be removed without any further dissassembly of the front end. Nice and quick.

My mate and I did the whole job last night in 3.5 hours from go to wo withut rushing. Of course it helps to have a hoist.

I now need to find somewhere over Easter to go and test it.:rock:

i was interested in front lokka (since our R200 are excellent lsd's)... until i heard several stories from ARB that our CV's including luxes are made of tinfoil...and they discontinued the product....

But now ARB have released one?? Maybe there was more to that original story we weren't being told...

Foxbat said:
Hi Everyone, I attempted the lokka install on saturday but had to shim the diff and didn't have any shims, so I had to put the assembly back together. A note for anyone doing a lokka in a D40, make sure you have a new drivers side axle seal as you have to remove the old one to get the assembly appart.
Called Tom at 4WD System today and he is sending out the appropriate size shims in an overnight bag. Providing I can get another axle seal in time, I will have another go at the install one night this week.

At least I managed to get the suspension in. I went Blue Max 2" raised front and rear. Front is now 570mm and the rear is 580mm. Looks and feels much gooderer. Updated pics in 'my garage'.

One thing I nearly did was to leave the front diff out of the car and reassemble the front end so that I could drive it until I got the diff sorted. After having a good look at the drive shafts and so forth I couldn't see why it can't be done. As long as the font prop shaft is removed it should be fine. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Just for interest sake as I ended up putting it back together anyway.

Cheers Foxy

I have driven without the front diff in many times not a prob , at first I was concerned about the front wheels falling off but I looked in the Wreakers and the 2wd models had the same front bearing assy.

For anyone who is interested in doing a LOKKA conversion on a Navara (Series 4) 2010 D40 ST-X (spain), here are a few useful hints that will make the process easier.

Prior to starting the job make sure you get a new seal for the drivers side diff output. The seal will be removed during the process to gain access to the large circlip that retains the extension drive shaft located in the drivers side extension housing. This shaft has to be removed so that you can remove the diff centre out of the diff housing.

The drivers side diff seal is Nissan P/No 40227-EA000 ($14) and you may aswell replace the other one while you are at it. The passenger side diff seal Nissan P/No 38342-EA000 ($21).

Shims - hmmmm. 'IF' when you instal the diff lock, you require shims to obtain the appropriate clearances, you will need access to a good shim supplier or call Tom at 4WD Systems who will be able to help you out. Shims are not required in all cases but, as Murphy is always watching over you, if you don't have any on hand you will need some.

To remove the front drive shafts, remove the wheel and brake caliper (without disconnecting the brake line) then remove the top steering knuckle nut and ABS wire plug. The driveshafts are then able to be removed without any further dissassembly of the front end. Nice and quick.

My mate and I did the whole job last night in 3.5 hours from go to wo withut rushing. Of course it helps to have a hoist.

I now need to find somewhere over Easter to go and test it.:rock:

Hi Foxbat, we are all waiting to hear about your Easter........
Please don't let us wait too long we want to know everything from the Easter egg hunt to the testing of the lokka.
Did it handle well? Was steering that hard? we'll be waiting to hear from you.
Cheers

Lokka test

Sorry guys, only just saw the last post.
Unfortunately I never got to test the lokka until last weekend when I went away with Thom and the crew to Wombat. And that did not really test it but, I can say that I certainly felt its affects. I did a couple of hill climbs that would have normally made my road tyres slip, with the diff lock making sure the front was constantly gripping, the climbs were sure and controlled. I don’t feel any ill effects on the road but a tight turn in a car park going slow and I hear the front clicking albeit very quietly. When in 4wd, I experience more of a ‘return to centre’ type feel in the steering more than what other people describe as heavier steering. I can certainly hear and feel the diff ‘unlocking’ when turning tight and the turning circle is reduced a little (when in 4WD) but the D40 Navara’s have the turning circle of a semi anyway so I am used to the five point turns.
I am hoping to get away again soon and test it thoroughly. I will write up what I can when I get the chance.
So far I am impressed.
Foxy

Sorry guys, only just saw the last post.
Unfortunately I never got to test the lokka until last weekend when I went away with Thom and the crew to Wombat. And that did not really test it but, I can say that I certainly felt its affects. I did a couple of hill climbs that would have normally made my road tyres slip, with the diff lock making sure the front was constantly gripping, the climbs were sure and controlled. I don’t feel any ill effects on the road but a tight turn in a car park going slow and I hear the front clicking albeit very quietly. When in 4wd, I experience more of a ‘return to centre’ type feel in the steering more than what other people describe as heavier steering. I can certainly hear and feel the diff ‘unlocking’ when turning tight and the turning circle is reduced a little (when in 4WD) but the D40 Navara’s have the turning circle of a semi anyway so I am used to the five point turns.
I am hoping to get away again soon and test it thoroughly. I will write up what I can when I get the chance.
So far I am impressed.
Foxy

Anymore updates on how the lokka is going Foxbat

Hi Longy509,
No sorry nothing to update yet. I haven't been able to get out bush for a while. However, there is no discernable driving problems or idiosyncrasies to speak of other than a few quiet clicks at low speed tight turns (carparks etc).
Itching to go bush but I have just got a winch delivered so I'm probably busy this weekend doing that.

I'll post something up if I get chance to use either in anger.

Cheers

Foxy

i have a lokka in the front of my d40 and have to say i dont even know its there until im in 4x4 even then its only a slightly wider turning circle and an extremely fast return to centre and excellent traction

Latest posts

Back