d40 engine gutless at the boat ramp

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandm

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was just wondering whether anyone has ever had an issue with their d40 diseal when towing a boat or trailer off the start on a hill or ramp. ive got 33s on my truck and its fine on a flat surface even with the boat or up a hill if ive got the thing moving but put it on a hill from a standing start and its pathetic. Ive even tried 1st gear low range and still nothing.

I was wondering whether a chip could be tunned to bring the power on strait off the bat. I understand that the 33's wouldnt help but on my new model hilux i never had the same problem and even though there was a slight difference it wasnt an issue.

Aside from reving the shit out of my car then dumping the clutch what could be done to fix this problem? I also understand there are no aftermarket gearing options for the d40.

cheers Ryan

ps the boat isnt heaving just a 5 meter aluminium quintrex

strange should pull really good in low range even with 33's are you sure its going into low because the 4wd light will just keep flashing if it's not engaging, my girlfriends d40 wont shift into low only go's into high at the moment been meaning to fix but too busy modding my own d40. lol

Sounds to me like you have issues somewhere, mine's an auto but it's pulled 4 tonne of trailer and beef from a standing start on a gravel track of about 35-40 degrees and mines stock standard.

Low 1st should pull anything from anywhere, I have 32's and use low 1st to pull the skis up the boat ramp with no issues at all i could do it in hi but like taking it easy on the clutch

I'm surprised at it feeling gutless in low range. In 4LO the D40 can out-pull a whole classroom of school boys. We just pulled a tree out of the ground with ours and it barely blinked. Reversing our caravan up our new driveway in 2LO needs about 3,000rpm to get it up there, but in 4LO I can almost idle it up.

I'd double-check the method of getting it into 4LO: vehicle MUST be stopped, MUST be in neutral and your foot MUST be on the brake.

I second oldtony if u cant pull a boat up a ramp in low range there is either something your 4x4 or u are not locking it in correctly they pull and push extremely well in low range

thanks guys ill try low range again maybe i stuffed it up and was only 4hi, i do have the vehicle stopped with brake on to engage 4lo but its in first with clutch in not the actual neutral position whether that would make a difference?

Yeah I am guessing it isnt in low4 properly. Its a really easy thing to mistake on them. The old Lo/Hi made it fool proof but alas we need technology apparantly. I got a chip on my old D40 manual and while it gave it more power once the turbo was spinning it didnt help any at the ramp. My boat is almost 2 tonne so needed to use low at most boat ramps.

As above - neutral is mandatory. Waiting for it to stop flashing is good protection for your transfer case too.

You'll know it when you're in 4LO. A small jab on the accelerator and everything will lurch forward to a nice brisk snail pace.

While I'm thinking about protection, make sure you're not in any 4WD mode on a firm surface for too long, or if you do, keep your wheels dead straight. Transfer chains hate being stretched!

Cheers guys yep definatly a user mistake i had it in first and clutch in rather then just neutral yeah i was used to the old hi/lol gearstick (well still on the new hiluxs which i used to own) thanks again guys.. still disapointed that it cant pull an average/small tinnie in 2wd without riding the clutch to the point where it smells like a fire under neath the car.

Find a new ramp maybe...... I have a 2wd d40 and tow a tool trailer fully loaded everywhere and don't have any power issues. My old mans d22 pulls our fibreglass hains hunter up out of the water no worries. Maybe you have other clutch issues?

She's always on, they don't have an off switch :sarcastic:

i installed an off switch for the handbrake....used it once and been paying for it ever since so next one will have a kill switch...12 years sentance easier than a life sentence..:argh:

i pulled out an 18ft glass boat from a very steep ramp at the fortesque river mouth, in 2wd and without much effort, obviously had to slip the clutch a bit but it pulled hard once under way.

I think it's 2 do with the stupid slipper clutch when I'm towing the car n bigger boat I have 2 ride the clutch like a bitch it's a pain in the arse

yeah i thought i was the only one with the problem you should be able to tow a boat out of a fairly steepish ramp without having to go into 4lo or riding the clutch to the point of cooking it. My old commodore and 2007 hilux both do it with no issues at all. must be that shitty d40 clutch everyone is talking about

Latest posts

Back