D40 Diesel Stops on hills when low fuel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roscoe07

Reaction score
Have a 2007 D40 Diesel. When the fuel is low and car parked nose down on my driveway if I dont get it up the hill quickly after starting it engine will stop and it has to be towed up hill. Once on the flat i can them hand prime it and away it goes. This happen when fuel light on and without fuel light on. Has anyone else had this problem?

Don't run the fuel so low ???

X2.

I normally don't go under a quarter of a tank for this exact reason if it arises. Also unless you have a cone shaped tank (pointy end down) you won't stop the vehicle from suck air if you are on a big slope.

From memory the fuel pickup sits just back from the halfway mark in the bottom of the tank. When you're nose-down, the pickup may easily be uncovered, suck air and you're going to have trouble.

Rule of thumb is never let the tank get that empty, or park nose-up the hill.

if i remember right nissan fix was to tweak the return pipe so it poured the returning fuel closer to the pickup.
there should be a few threads on the problem somewhere.

This happened to me once when revering a trailer up a drive way. Had a quater tank left, was ideling heard the fuel light beep and didn't think anything of it. Then it cut out.

Had to go get a jerry can of diesel to top it up. Couldn't prime the thing. I find having a flat foot while starting after squeezing the bulb till it's hard is the best way to get it going again. Don't think it's to crash hot for the injectors. Haven't sounded the same since.

Latest posts

Back