D40 and Code 0340

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Outlaw

Reaction score
2008 D40 Navara..

Keeps going into Limp mode - code it throws is 0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor)

Anyone had this before? Any tips or hints what to look for other than replacing the CPS?

Thanks..

The manual actually states to check the harness first. Any pressure cleaning or submerging of the engine bay could introduce debris into the electrical connections. It also says that your starter battery might not be as strong as it should be and it might also be caused by a faulty starter motor.

First thing I'd do: borrow someone else's battery and see if that does improves things.

Battery is fairly new and will crank the engine easily...

I've taken the connector / harness out, and the CPS and cleaned them, just to be sure.. What else to look for here?

Can steam cleaning "kill" the sensor? I think it was done previous to me owning it..

CPS failure is rare on the YD25, more common cause of this fault code is the dreaded timing chain stretch! They will throw this code due to a CKP/CPS sync error.

CPS failure is rare on the YD25, more common cause of this fault code is the dreaded timing chain stretch! They will throw this code due to a CKP/CPS sync error.

Thanks Mate.. That's what I have come to the conclusion of too..

Pity Nissan and 2 different workshops could not.. Maybe I should go with my gut instincts more often.. Hope fully replacing the Timing Chain fixes it..

If I had of gone with gut instincts I would not have bought it in the first place.. haha..

Find a decent sparky with a fast sampling oscilloscope and they can compare CKP to CMP output. If he has any doubt, post the waveform and il have a look for you

Find a decent sparky with a fast sampling oscilloscope and they can compare CKP to CMP output. If he has any doubt, post the waveform and il have a look for you

I've got more sense out of you in 2 posts, than I have out of 2 dealerships and one high profile Perth workshop. It's sort of put my mind at rest that it is the timing chain setup..

You're the first person to confirm that a loose / stretched timing chain will and can cause the CPS light to be thrown, and the system go into permanent limp mode..

My gut instinct was that the Crank and Cam position sensors where out of whack and hence throwing a fallback code of 0340.. Might also explain the earlier 0335 codes I was getting too.. Just p!sses me off that I paid a dealership BIG money and still get no where..

Pity I've had to spend 6 weeks running around paying experts to not get it right..

I really appreciate you taking the time to post..

Now I just have to get the new chain kit fitted :)

Where are you getting the chain kit from? YD25.com.au?

Tony.. I went for an Engine Australia kit.. There was a post on here about about one of the members sons working at Repco and them stocking 'em. Long story short, no one out of 4 stores knew anything about them - so I rang the 1300 number on the flier.. Turns out they're are large company and had an office here in Perth..

Rang one day, they had it all ready to go the next.

I just could not really justify the $1700+ for the yd25 kit.. I am sure it is excellent and all..

It was due to go in last weekend, but my mechanic mate fell ill to the dreaded man flu - so fingers crossed he comes through and it'll happen this weekend.

I just want to be able to drive the car more than 100km without it limping.. Although with all the troubles I have had, I don't know if i can trust the car..

Latest posts

Back