D22 - newbie tyre questions!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent009

Reaction score
Ok, first I want to apologise because I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times before. I have tried to do the right thing and I've spent the last two hours searching on these forums but I'm even more confused than ever.

So would really appreciate some assistance.

Firstly, I have a 2001 D22 DX (stock standard) which I'm looking to do some mods to. The mods will be mainly for looks as I want the ute to look a bit "manlier" haha. I won't be doing any offroading in mud or bush....just the odd trip on the beach (Fraser Island etc).

Basically, I want to put on the BIGGEST tyres I can without any scrubbing. Before I do this I will be getting a 2 inch lift.

My FIRST question is: does it matter if I go 2 inch suspension lift or 2 inch body lift? I'm just thinking about the body lift because it's basically four times cheaper than the suspension lift. I don't really want to get both because I've been set a budget from the wife.

Ok, assuming I have one of the above (lets say 2 inch body lift), what are the biggest tyres I can get? The thing that is confusing me is that some people are saying 32/11.5/R15 or 265/76/16 so I'm getting confused about sizes. Then I read another post where the tyre was 255 but it equaled 33.6 inch because the second number was different...so confusing for a newbie lol.

To make it easier, I've set my targets on Maxxis Bighorn 762 as they seem like good tyres for the price. Here are all the Bighorn 762 tyre sizes:
http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/tyres/brands/maxxis/mt-762-bighorn

So question two is: which one of the above Bighorn tyres should I get on a 2 inch body lift (no suspension lift)?

And lastly, I will be getting black kings sunraysia rims. Depending on what tyre I get, what size rims should I be buying? From the posts I've read I think +20 offset is the way to go?

Anyway, sorry for being a complete newbie but I'm just hoping someone can get me some good advice as I've got the money ready but just need some assistance!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!
Agent009

Suspension lift :
desirable, for more flex
navara fronts dont like being lifted without caber issues, or new arms (big money)

body lift
cheap, effective.
you need to do more than what you will be told.
you will need to extend your steering shaft when going 2inch or more. snake racing sell and extension, or you can get it done professionally - but most guys wont do this as its against road rules law etc etc.

tires
dx model has the 205r16's as standard (205/80/16) *same as d21
the strs have the 265/70's standard.

now basics
Flotation tires, the 15inch ones referenced as 31/10.5/15 or 33/10.5/15 etc etc...these are wide tyres with big sidewalls, have big footprints
i dont like them on Navaras as navs have shit steering components, and the wider your tyre the more on-road steering stress you will put on them.

you can get the middle sized tyres in 16's (high towing rating in 16's)
285/75/16 - 33inch eq
265/75/16 - 32inch eq
good options as they are not as wide, less stress, easier to get decent rim choice to not scrub on turning.

now skinny tyres, similar to the 205r16, but obviously with more sidewall giving you more clearence.
most common size is the 32inch equlivant of 235/85/16 and id personally recomend this tyre.
you could fit to standard 16inch rim if you wanted, but a bit more offset will help out the steering scrubing.
there is a 33inch eq, a 255/85/16 - this is not as common in Australia as it is in america...good size option for trail work etc, but if you don't have a spare - dont expect your local mum and dad tyre store in the bush to stock a replacement of this size....usually its order in.

personal experence
i put a 2inch body lift in a DX model d21 and fitted 265/75/16s on 16by8 rims with a 0 offset.
these needed flares as they stuck outside the guards
they also would scrub slightly on steering lock.
i had to replace nearly every steering comopnent as they just kept getting eaten up.

i now have a d22 and im thinking going back to 235 85 16s thats i had on my old patrol..

Mate, thanks so much for comprehensive reply!!!

Ok, just to clarify a few things, the 265/75/16 and 235/85/17 you mentioned are both 32 inch but you called the 235 one "skinny"...why is that? (I'm sure this is a stupid question haha but just confused as they're both 32 inch).

I also looked at both of these tyre sizes in the below website and the dimensions are very similiar:
http://mcgrefer.com/sizeinfo/2657516
http://mcgrefer.com/sizeinfo/2358516

You also mentioned in your previous experience that 265/75/15 on 16x8 rims with 0 offset would scrub slightly on steering lock (with 2 inch bodylift). What about if the offset was +20? Most of the posts I've read said that +20 is the best offset for the D22.

Thanks very much.

Ok, ignore my "skinny" question...did a bit of research and it's pretty self-explanatory lol.

So basically are the two I'm looking at are:

265/75/16 - 32inch eq (fat)
235/85/16 - 32inch eq (skinny)

Thanks for that. If you could still answer my question regarding the +20 offset it would be great. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

265/75/16 are not really 'fat' they are the middle ground the 32/10.5/15's are fat.
they are the same (if not pretty close) in diamiater to the 235/85/16s

235 indicates the tyre width
85 is percentage of the tyre width, ie 85 percent of 235mm is 199.75mm
a 16inch rims is 406mm
so 406+199+199 = 804mm diamiater

265/75
75 percent of 265 is 198mm
406mm + 198 + 198 = 802mm diamiater
*note each tires different and this is the basic of it, but some Tyre brands etc are slightly bigger or smaller diameter based on tread depth etc etc

~~~~~~~~~~~~

+20 offset for the rims means your stuff is 2CM CLOSER to your suspension components.

lets say your using a 8 inch rim with a 0 offset.
if your using the 235 width tires, you will sit at (point a) away from suspension components.
if your using 265 width tires you will sit 15mm closer to suspension components.
* this is because your tyre is 30mm wider, so it will sit 15 further out and 15 closer.

now back to 235 tyres..... 0 offset, back to sitting at (point a)
if you change the offset to +20 - your tyre now sits 20mm/2cm Closer to suspension components.
If you go into the negatives, say -20 - you sit 20mm further away from the suspension....

catch the idea?

now if you change the rim width?
for this example we will run with a typically stock d22 rim
16 by 7 at + 40 is our new (point a)
change this to a 16 by 8 + 40 and the rim will sit half an inch ( 12.5mm) closer to suspension components (undesirable, can run into issues here)
so if we went +27.5 the suspention side would sit in the same line, but the rim would sit more outside.
so if we go back to 16 by 8 and 0 offset, we are sitting 27.5mm further AWAY from the suspension (stock rim referenced above) and 52.5mm further outside the older rim (flared guards to cover?)

There is only going to be recommendations for what will work with your setup, personally id be using 16 by 8 with 0 offset and using flares. if your getting 235/85s then get 16by 7's

Thanks again mate. Think I'm slowly getting my head around all those numbers.

Still a bit confused on the offset. For the 265/75/16 option you said you would recommend 16x8 rims with 0 offset. On other posts people have said 0 offset will sit out further and foul the guards...for that reason they are recommending +20 offset.

I think I've pretty much decided on 265/75/16 with 16x8 rims but still not sure to ask for 0 or +20 offset due to conflicting posts. If anyone can give me one last bit of advice on which offset and then I'll put this thread to bed :)

Thanks!!

looks best? i reckon a tough look with the flares is best.
..but if you want something to stick inside the guards then your going the other way.

i cant speak for experience on the +20 debate, im sure a 16 by 8 +20 would work with 265/75/16's...as for where they will sit and if they will scrub IDK. People say they have fitted that size tyre to the stock rim with minor scrubbing, so +20 is 20mm further out (or 7.5mm further out if you go from 7inch to 8inch rim)

if you know someone with GU stock rims, put one on your car to see where it sits. these will be 16 by 8 with 0 offset (unless its s poo DX model with 16 by 6's)...they will sit outside the guard, but who knows you might like it.

my d21 has these Gu rims with 265/75 and i get scrub on full lock (inside chasis rails) but i have never had any issues with it hitting the body line, it has 2inch body lift so this would help.

I have 265 75 r16 on zero offset 16x8 alloys, they look really good on the ute, the tyre tread is just under the flare but the bulged side wall is sticking out, I get some fouling from the outside edge of the front tyres on the back of the wheel well, I have 2 inch suspension lift and have worked on that area (quite a lot) that they scrub.
I would really prefer a +15 offset (16 inch Prado steelies) but a +20 would be a very good compromise for an aftermarket rim.
Something to remember is muddies are very poor on sand, anything really blocky with big tread gaps, they dig instead of floating (I used to have simex centipedes on a 4runner) all terrains are the best compromise, actually highway terrains work the best on sand.
If you're keen on 235 85 r16's that's a whole different wheel set up really and probably the best for the long term preservation of the vehicle, I may go that direction in the future if my touring increases substantially.

Latest posts

Back