D22 front diff, what grenades?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Krankin

Just an infothread...

What commonly breaks on this diff?

Is it one common part breakage or several ?

Is it that weak that it just shatters at the mere sight of rough terrain,...is it really that weak?

Is it breaking due to misuse?

Is there aftermarket bulletproof parts for this diff to replace the supposed "weak" ones,
or is a different diff replacement in order?

Is it the end of the world if you grenade it in the middle of nowhwere, can it still be driven home?

I dont think theres enough cases out there to say that they are that bad?, Mine copped plenty of abuse and misuse/oversize tyres and never had any issues, cvs always let go 1st. if your worried about the strength the most cost effective way i think would be a r200 conversion that will bolt straight in.
If you blow it up just unlock the hubs and put it in 2wd.

Good,

Ok,

so really its not that common.....

is it just the CV's that let go? or do crown and or pinions break teeth?

why is the R200 unit stronger or which part of it is better than the 180"

R200 is larger crownwheel 200mm over 180mm and larger spline count on the axles from the diff centre to cv. Cant remember but id say the R200 also had larger bearings.

do the 180's break crown or pinion teeth or its just the cv's that are the weakest point?

i think i only recall reading 1 maybe 2 posts that say they have down C&P. cv's should be the weaker point...

Scotty, for those few people who have exploded their front diffs, is there a way to find out what happened? Was it too much strain through the diff over a long period of time, or was it a raised wheel spinning that met the ground and suddenly came to a stop?

If it's the latter, you could add a locker and prevent that from happening altogether, because if one wheel DOES raise off the ground, it won't start spinning like mad.

It's a very interesting question Jim's put up, even for D40 owners, because the D40 front diff isn't as strong as the rear. Unfortunately in the case of a failure, we can't unlock hubs - we'd have to remove the front axle in the field. That's not something I even want to start thinking about - I would rather take the preventative approach and drop in a locker, like the e-locker from Harrop - they do for both the D22 and the D40.

The question is though, does that resolve the cause of the failures in the diffs, or is it something else?

Ring gear goes

4 teeth missing off mind, CV'S perfectly fine. Heard the problem happens in situations were the wheels spin and suddenly grab again. Did mind in the Simpson desert. Heading back to big Red shortly this year, hopefully no probs.

Back