D21 Sliders & Snorkle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically it's not going to make any real difference which way the head faces.....interesting.
Thanks Mate :victory::victory:

I looked up the figures. For your snorkel the pressure drop is roughly 6kPa. The ram air effect at 80 is ~0.292kPa. So the "ram air effect" is largely bullshit and won't increase your power because you've just decreased it adding a snorkel. BUT that doesn't take into account the advantages of a clean air filter and drawing in cool air rather than the preheated air available in the engine bay so don't go tearing the snorkel off.

Cheers mate:victory:
Yeh, no chance of me taking the snorkle off...................although, if I did, I don't think I'd have to much drama selling it:big_smile::big_smile:

Dont know how true this is but i also heard the air at head height is thinner/cooler than air at leg height.

That's what I've been told, more or less - they said the air in the engine area was a lot hotter and I won't dispute that at all.

As for the ram air effect - it's amazing what not actually putting your own head down and doing the figures can make you believe. Thanks Pro Nav, for that info, it's good to know - another myth dispelled!

I'm not sure what you're referring to. My Commodore's intake was over the radiator near the headlight, drawing cooler air that it would have gotten from behind the radiator. Is that what you're referring to, or do you mean the shakers etc?

Cold air intakes usually replace the part where for instance on a commodore a plastic tube would take in air from behind the headlight or thereabouts, where as the cold air intake is plastic tubing that goes roughly on top of the radiator and draws air in through the grill, so to speak. So basically its working as a ram effect.

I'm fairly sure my Commodore had its intake in front of the radiator so it was drawing the cooler air already - but mine was a 98 VT, not sure about earlier ones. Makes sense to do it, not so much for the ram air effect, but simply to get cooler air in.

Air at head height is thinner than at leg height, but the difference is barely measurable. Mainly you just want to be out of the hot engine bay, and up out of the dust coming off the front wheels.

Cold air intakes serve a few purposes - on vehicles which draw from behind the radiator, it moves the intake to somewhere with unheated air. On vehicles with long convoluted intake duct paths, it reduces the pipe friction losses by shortening the intake path. And on many vehicles, you get a better (louder) induction noise so the car feels heaps faster.

The ram air effect exists, don't get me wrong, but for the 4x4 set it's a waste of time.

Had a run up to Kroombit Tops today, & the snorkle seemed to work fine. If anything, I reckon it went better then the 1st snorkle I had on it. Haven't checked the airbox yet to see if there is any dust in there.

Will post some pic's up on my Members Thread.

You wouldn't have measurements / plans for those sliders still. Would like to do similiar myself. Great D21.

Latest posts

Back