D21 93 4x4 not going in to gear...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushymuff

Reaction score
well, hello there! first question on here so be nice!

i picked up a 93 2.4 petrol 4x4 navara, the previous owner had a new clutch put in and got it home, not sure how soon it started but the reason she sold it to me was that after the clutch was fitted the, previously sound, gearbox was playing up, she took it back and was told the box was stuffed.

upon driving it i felt that it may have been the clutch not being bled or possibly leaking fluid, these things i addressed. all good.

i was advised that if the box was really aok before, (and it was, turns out the wife knew/knows the previous owner and as such, her car) then possibly the clutch may have been installed poorly or even the wrong type fitted, well, i took it out, checked it out, all seemed good. the box has never made any nasty noises, only had trouble selecting gears.
if its double pumped the gears will select, leading to me thinking that the hydraulic system is failing, tho ive bled it well, twice and theres no leaking fluid anywhere.

please, for the love of beer, somebody tell me what the buggeryfuck is going on?

the box was a bitch to refit, especially as i was on the site of my new improved shed, tho sadly , without the shed! had to flatten the old one ready for the new one!!!

please tell me to do something to the hydraulics and not take out the box again!!!

if it helps, here are all the codes from the plate.

ka24 (E) 2389 (i guess the box is a ka23???

fs5w71c ca46

usmd21 fbmwy

03/93

i cant remember how many k's on it but its bloody cold down here n the fires lit so we'll say more than 100,000, less than 200,000, ok?

great site, and good work all you gurus, obsessives, nav nuts et al.

many , many thankings in advance! :love sign:

I had something similar with an Isuzu truck. Turned out the clutch thrust bearing fork was cracked and would slowly flex. The symptom was occasional inability to select gears. The more you used it the worse it got. Leave it for 5 mins and perfect for first use...

Not sure about your problem gearbox, but

Here is your gearbox
fs5w71c

floor shift, 5 speed manual..

And this is your diff
ca46
4.6 ratio

^ What he said..

The other numbers will be your paint code and the trim codes.

They are a piss weak gearbox in 4wd application. Drop the oil and see what comes out.

KA24E is the engine, SOHC 12 valve EFI Donk.

CA indicates the C200 rear diff with 4.626 diff ratio.

Hey bushymuff, when you took the gearbox out, did you have ot remove the torsion bars, or did you manage without it?

check what's on drain plug, and do you have right oil ? it says a lot about transmission maybe oil is to thick - synchros wont work right but don't think it's the case

release fork is good suggestion
another point to check is flexible (rubber) clutch pipe near release cylinder - it may bulge or stretch under pressure,

when removed form car it was a moment to open gearbox and have look what inside or even measure synchros and play ... you should do that to be sure that box is itself is fine

Latest posts

Back