Cold Stall - YD25

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Outlaw

Reaction score
Ok... Collective minds.

The Navara stalled a few times after being driven for less than a minute. Re-start, and away it went.

Then it would stall at start-up. And then again when coming to a stop down the road. Again, restart both times and it went.

If the car was warm - it would not do this. Only on cold start.

SO - Removed and cleaned MAF and SCV. Cleaned battery and negative terminals / leads. Problem still there. Getting worse to the point it would take ages to get it to stay started in the morning and would stall until warm. Had to keep my foot on the throttle to avoid stall (and heavy steering)

Read, read and read more. probable cause was SCV. So went and purchased one. Installed and car started fine (it may have had some heat in it but it was 2 hours standing - so negligible) Next morning,would start and stall. After several tries i finally got it going and gave it a sold rev - and black soot out the exhaust - a plume of it.

Last night, tried to start, and it would stall straight up. No even responding to throttle.

SO - hints / tips / Suggestions.

Replace the fuel filter,check fuel rail sensor plug/wiring.
Sometimes it works out quicker and cheaper to take it to a reputable diesel mech to get it hooked up to a scantool for proper diagnoses.

same thing here 2010 rx manual. I have had it in the past, and used a triple dose of injector cleaner . Works for a while and comes back a few months later.

Do you have the egr blocked? Might also be worth giving it a couple of cans of liquimoly diesel purge just to make sure the injectors are nice and clean too

EGR is blocked.

Have done the Liqui Moly a few months back..

Logged the fuel rail pressure and it seems to be fine (when running). 4000psi at idle all the way up to 28000psi when under boost/load

Would try a good dose of injector cleaner.. If it would start and run

Last edited:
I'm thinking of an electrical gremlin such as the earth for the ECU just as an example. It sounds like classic SCV problems, though having that replaced rules that out.

I agree, John. And after hours of reading and pouring over others with *very* similar issues, I came to the same conclusion. I even had the classic "Hunt at idle" and "Limp mode when accelerating and no CEL" issues previous - which are all CLASSIC SCV issues.

But alas, in my deep downs, I kinda knew it would not be it with this car.......

Ok, how's the primer on the filter when cold? How many pumps til it is firm? Also, maybe try loosening the fuel cap if the primer feels ok in case your fuel tank breather is blocked and causing a vacuum when the fuel cools down...

Have noticed that a few times while at lights it will stall just as you start to take off.Just as you start accelerating. Not sure if its injector issue. ? It will have the issue a few times with the one tank of fuel but not the next. Same servo BP , will have to try and notice if the car is facing down hill at the time ??

Hi all

Just a thought, have you had the timing chains checked or replaced. I know that some models when the timing chain becomes worn or stretched the ecu will shut down the the engine on cold starts only . how many kms have you done and if it's over 140k i'd be having a look on yd25.com and even giving paul a call and talking to him (he's the main man at yd25) he knows what happens if the chain is the problem.
hope you get it sorted soon nothing worse than a problem that yo can't diagnose.

**UPDATE**

Car went into my mechanics. Worn seals on the pump was the issue. New seal kit and clean of the pump and Navara is trucking along again.

260,000km on the clock, so it's had a few litres go through it :)

$660...

Latest posts

Back