Clarky...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah yeah. I still reckon one day after all the money I spend on the thing and as
Much as I love it, I'll trade it in for a patrol wagon.
I love the space in the tub though.

Just had another look at your Aux fuel storage.... I don't suppose u know if they have tanks where the filler is to one side and not in the centre? From what I've read of your post, these tanks hold 80ltrs + the Std Tanks of 70ltrs (or LR 125ltrs + your 80ltr = 205ltrs) should give enough range for some of the more of the remote tracks out west.

We just came back from crossing the Desert and Filled up at Birdsville and was planning on refueling when we got to Coober Pedy. My mates 80's had 250ltrs on board and I had 150ltrs in the Prado. He obviously had no worries but I had to add a "little" fuel at Oodnadatta at $2.20/ltr.... Luckily I did as I would have fallen sort by some 4ltrs.... The economy for this part of the journey was 15.5ltrs/100kms which wasn't too bad considering. Do u know what sort of economy u would get out of your fully loaded?

We are planning (long term) in some more remote touring and I need to increase my fuel carrying capacity. Thinking of the possibility of taking the Navara next time, but I've only got 125ltrs on board and would have to do something similar to what u have done....

I had a look via your eBay link on the fella that supplied your tank.... but he doesn't have anymore listings or items in his online shop....

rob

Thanks Rob! As soon as I've got the pumps organized and running I'll fill the tanks up, last thing I want is 160L of liquid that I can't get out of the tub!

I'm thinking I might need some of those SAX 3-stage rear leaves to accommodate the load that's gonna be in the tub, but i'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

RE: the aux tank fuel filler, found this after a quick google search:

Taken from this document: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...COP9_Section_LM_Fuel_Systems_01Jan2011_v2.pdf

So it looks like il be more than right for having the filler inside the tub.

Last edited:
Hey mate, yeah nothing I looked at had fillers on the side, but then I was after a very specific set of tanks - something appropriately sized so that I could get them both sitting behind the fridge slide. Down one side of each tank is 4 x 3/4"NPT brass threaded plugs (2@top, 2@bottom), I plan on using one of the top ones for filling, and the other for a breather tube... I'm hoping that'll work out alright, otherwise I've no idea - ill have to look into cutting and threading my own filler hole. If I've gotta go a bit slow with filling - then that's ok.

As for fuel consumption - with all the mods (engine and otherwise- chip, EGR, 80series) that I've done on this, I would be expecting around 13L/100km on the blacktop and about 15-ish on tracks like the oodnadatta. Across the desert, I'll be working off a top consumption of about 20-25L.

I'm looking at a 6-8week australia crossing next year if your keen. Byron bay - steep point (absolute east to absolute west).

As for all my epic plans - basically just finishing off all the touring mods and additions: drawers, shelves, AUX tanks, secondary fuel filter, secondary cranking battery, winch, as well as doing some hardcore maintenance on it, I think my wheel bearings are playing up again, but I think I'll take Otto a shop and get the rear ones replaced as well, my clutch is on its way, and I'm pretty sure my front drivers side CV shaft needs replacing, but I'll change them both out for some nice hardened chromoly ones if I can find them.

Also up for a new set of tires really soon.

Last edited:
Hey mate, yeah nothing I looked at had fillers on the side, but then I was after a very specific set of tanks - something appropriately sized so that I could get them both sitting behind the fridge slide. Down one side of each tank is 4 x 3/4"NPT brass threaded plugs (2@top, 2@bottom), I plan on using one of the top ones for filling, and the other for a breather tube... I'm hoping that'll work out alright, otherwise I've no idea - ill have to look into cutting and threading my own filler hole. If I've gotta go a bit slow with filling - then that's ok.

As for fuel consumption - with all the mods (engine and otherwise- chip, EGR, 80series) that I've done on this, I would be expecting around 13L/100km on the blacktop and about 15-ish on tracks like the oodnadatta. Across the desert, I'll be working off a top consumption of about 20-25L.

I'm looking at a 6-8week australia crossing next year if your keen. Byron bay - steep point (absolute east to absolute west).

As for all my epic plans - basically just finishing off all the touring mods and additions: drawers, shelves, AUX tanks, secondary fuel filter, secondary cranking battery, winch, as well as doing some hardcore maintenance on it, I think my wheel bearings are playing up again, but I think I'll take Otto a shop and get the rear ones replaced as well, my clutch is on its way, and I'm pretty sure my front drivers side CV shaft needs replacing, but I'll change them both out for some nice hardened chromoly ones if I can find them.

Also up for a new set of tires really soon.

Would love to be able to take off for 6>8wks, but I don't reckon I'd be able to do that for some time yet....Don't think the missus let let us either, then the kids.... and so on and so on....

But I am reading up on about Maddigan Line (Trk) at the moment.... not the sort I trip that I would be able to take the family on due to its remoteness and the necessary gear req'd to take to do it.

Alright, I'm back and have a huge stack of odd jobs to do on the truck, lots of little things that I've been putting off and been needing to get around to doing to make this beast an ultimate tourer.

I've spent a huge few weeks ordering parts off eBay and the Internet and squirreling them away for the proverbial rainy day when I have time to install them.
Here's a list of plans...
- All 4 wheel bearings (will do this closer to when I'm gonna be heading off in the truck.
- Install and wire the second under-bonnet battery
- re-wire the air compressor to the second under bonnet battery, this will shorten the cable run by about 2 meters, and hopefully give it a bit more oompf!
- replace stock fuel filter with CAV type fuel filter
- install intercooler (ordered it today)
- replace rear drums
- finish the rear drawer/shelf setup.
- finish the in-tray fuel and water storage system (pumps and plumbing)
- install rear rock-lights
- rear-quarter chop and custom rear bar (still undecided about this one)
- get rid of forward exhaust resonator and finalize the shortened exhaust pipe
- replace the IPF900's with light force 240xgt HID's
- custom bracket for roof mounted light bar
- Install the couplertec
- New tires ( 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn MT-764)

And thats where my memory stops.

But that's a pretty good list of my plans. As the jobs slowly progress I'll take photos and post progress reports.

Not going the 33's mate?

well, I'm still undecided, i want the clearance, but i don't want the boggy-ness of turning such large rubber, in terms of touring, the 265/75's would put my truck at pretty much perfect pick-up and speed. especially if i want to hop my truck across the simpson (next year maybe?)

i'd love to try a set of 285/75's for a bit and see how they do on the beach, and working in the soft sand.

Ill drop a review next week after i fit them on Saturday, remember I don't have a chip yet either, will have in a few weeks. I will be heading out to the beach next week too I believe.
Ill leave a full review

Alright, just an update for now, hopefully pictures (and a video!) coming tomorrow.

Yesterday afternoon I replaced my fuel filter with a CAV style one and moved the ProVent to a better location. Now I've got everything in place to install my under bonnet second cranking battery, and I've spent the morning getting my exhaust "modified."

Now it's a 3" straight through that finishes just past the cab, I'll try and get some video of it this afternoon and post it tomorrow.

I'll be happy if I can get this second cranking battery installed and the redarc working today, then it'll be a case of transferring the non-essential stuff across to it.

Tothe 33's I'm loving them. Power decrease wasn't as bad as I expected

Awesome Mate, just reading your thread to see me some pretty pictures. and get the latest on them.

...and they look awesome. really tempted to get some now. what offset do you have on those rims?

First things first, a video of my shortened straight through 3" exhaust.

Joshman's Exhaust.

And now some pictures of other things.

I had to replace my Starter Battery during the week, so I went with a 12" Amaron, apparently they're pretty good.

I got a bracket made up at work (dodgily, mind you, bloke couldn't even weld it square - Something I might get rectified in the future) So I could hang the ProVent Catch Can and the new CAV style Fuel filter with ease.

I also wired up my Second (technically, third) Battery yesterday, through a Redarc SBI12 VSR. The wiring goes

Starter Batt. --> 180A C/B --> CABLE! --> SBI12 --> 180A C/B --> Aux. Batt.

And I've run the Negative lead for it back around to the drivers side of the Engine Block, because of reasons. The over-ride switch I have yet to run into the cabin; it's the coil of blue wire you can see in back of that first pic.

Now i have the (annoying) task of tidying up the wiring under the bonnet, and transferring a bunch of the (non-essential) circuits across to the second cranker.

Attachments

• 293752_428189827244287_1595240407_n.jpg
    293752_428189827244287_1595240407_n.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 384264_428189963910940_2010914778_n.jpg
    384264_428189963910940_2010914778_n.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 426210_428190147244255_1023137124_n.jpg
    426210_428190147244255_1023137124_n.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 269881_428189997244270_1024948972_n.jpg
    269881_428189997244270_1024948972_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
G'day Joshman - so you've ditched the factory fuel filter all together - what's the advantage of the new CAV?

Cheers

Awesome Mate, just reading your thread to see me some pretty pictures. and get the latest on them.

...and they look awesome. really tempted to get some now. what offset do you have on those rims?

First things first, a video of my shortened straight through 3" exhaust.

Joshman's Exhaust.

And now some pictures of other things.

I had to replace my Starter Battery during the week, so I went with a 12" Amaron, apparently they're pretty good.

I got a bracket made up at work (dodgily, mind you, bloke couldn't even weld it square - Something I might get rectified in the future) So I could hang the ProVent Catch Can and the new CAV style Fuel filter with ease.

I also wired up my Second (technically, third) Battery yesterday, through a Redarc SBI12 VSR. The wiring goes

Starter Batt. --> 180A C/B --> CABLE! --> SBI12 --> 180A C/B --> Aux. Batt.

And I've run the Negative lead for it back around to the drivers side of the Engine Block, because of reasons. The over-ride switch I have yet to run into the cabin; it's the coil of blue wire you can see in back of that first pic.

Now i have the (annoying) task of tidying up the wiring under the bonnet, and transferring a bunch of the (non-essential) circuits across to the second cranker.

The offset is the same as standard. It's. a 16x 7 rim. I have to get another rim for the spare. I have a 5th tyre.

G'day Joshman - so you've ditched the factory fuel filter all together - what's the advantage of the new CAV?

Cheers

well i'd need to buy a new filter head anyway, because the primer handle is no lost to the sands of time (literlly, i lost it on the beach), so i figure why not replace it with a CAV style. and the filters only cost ~$6 each and you can get them in a variety of filtration sizes (got a 10micron one on there now)

they're supposedly easier to change, but i'm yet to workout the fast way. Plus, that primer handle pump is awesome, much better than the stock one.

so you got 33's on 16x7 rims at a +40 offset? not a bad effort, i must say. Makes me think putting them on my 16x8 @ +20 rims will work very nicely.

well i'd need to buy a new filter head anyway, because the primer handle is no lost to the sands of time (literlly, i lost it on the beach), so i figure why not replace it with a CAV style. and the filters only cost ~$6 each and you can get them in a variety of filtration sizes (got a 10micron one on there now)

they're supposedly easier to change, but i'm yet to workout the fast way. Plus, that primer handle pump is awesome, much better than the stock one.

so you got 33's on 16x7 rims at a +40 offset? not a bad effort, i must say. Makes me think putting them on my 16x8 @ +20 rims will work very nicely.

My mistake sorry I think they're also +20.
I just decided to gett it flexed up and got a bit of scrubbing on full lock. So looks like ill have to give the inner guard a little tlc so I don't start choppin of my new knobbies :)

the filters only cost ~$6 each and you can get them in a variety of filtration sizes (got a 10micron one on there now)

Had the same filter setup on my old lux, I've been talking to a truck parts shop about what micron to get for the nav as i'm keen to fit one, Those priming pumps on them lift fuel real quick too, Looking at your recent photo's at least you still have some room, With the same duel battery tray as you, Plus i have a top mount i/c i'm running out of room, My fuel filter is now down between the pre cleaner and air filter housing

Yeah, I'm about to run out of room once my water-air I/C arrives and I find time to fit it, i'm gonna make a bracket to mount it on top of the alternator, and I'm gonna have to do some fancy work with the turbo inlet pipes to make it all fit. I wish I knew the right people to get a custom inlet manifold made, that'd make life a lot easier.

What did you do with the filter sensor that wires into the bottom of the old fuel filter?

I had a look for a similar filter the same as yours online but couldn't find it - do you know the serial/model number?

cheers

I left it hanging in the engine bay, it's just a water sensor, so not essential to anything. I got it from a local at and farm machinery shop, but you can find them on eBay. Just search for CAV filter.

Also make sure you can get one with the barbs, I didn't and finding any kind of barbed fitting with a metric thread, an absolute PITA.

Of course if you're so inclined, you could always drill and tap an appropriate BSP thread.

Latest posts

Back