checking engine before replacing turbo?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herb1234

Reaction score
hi all

i have a 2004 dcab with 190km on the zd30 and the turbo is leaking oil out of the back of the compression side. it has been a small leak which at first i through was the build up of blowby and fitted a can to try and stop that.
but the leak has became a small flow now and the turbo was making alot more noise than normal, so removed the turbo and after looking at it i will replace it.
but after talking with a few people in the trade today they are saying that i should get the motor compression and leck down test before fitting a new turbo? one guy was even telling me that it is the number 3 cyclinder that tends to go?

also are the chinese replacement turbos any good?

thanks brent

Last edited:
herb1234 said:
hi all

i have a 2004 dcab with 190km on the zd30 and the turbo is leaking oil out of the back of the compression side. it has been a small leak which at first i through was the build up of blowby and fitted a can to try and stop that.
but the leak has became a small flow now and the turbo was making alot more noise than normal, so removed the turbo and after looking at it i will replace it.
but after talking with a few people in the trade today they are saying that i should get the motor compression and let down test before fitting a new turbo? one guy was even telling me that it is the number 3 cyclinder that tends to go?

also are the chinese replacement turbos any good?

thanks brent

They read too much crap on the net about 01-03 patrol zd30's. A worn motor have nothing to do with a noisy turbo. No harm in having it pressure tested. But just replace the turbo and be on your way

they all have blow by coming through the turbo....that could be the reason for the leak from the back of the turbo....there is only a thin seal on that side of most turbos...so it will leak it out

its most likely normal blow by.....or a seal in the turbo....you could try running the crank breather to an empty bottle of coke for a few days....if its filling that up ridiculously quick then maybe you might have excessive blow by....is it overfilled with oil?

this is more than blow by it is a small stream. and the catch can would now be full if that was the case.

have checked the oil feed and return and they seen good no cracks or splits.

my pick is a seal somewhere, but a new turbo and gasket kit are on the way so all i have to do is remove a three studs as the were damaged when o rmoved the turbo and bolt the new one in.

Latest posts

Back