Change headlight auto off??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake93

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the navara world getting my Spanish 2012 navara only a few weeks ago.

I have now twice due to my own stupidity left my headlights on whilst being at work all day to return to a dead battery after leaving my headlights on...

It's really not an excuse but both my previous cars the headlights auto turn off with the ignition so it was impossible to leave them on and I haven't completely rewired my brain yet to get into the habit of turning them off.

My gripe with the navara is that there isn't even a warning chime or anything just silence, so no wonder I've already done it twice. My girlfriends POS lancer even has a chime, in saying that one of my cars that had auto off lights was built in 1999 so its beyond me how a 3 year old Navara just has nothing.

So I guess my question is has anyone changed their headlights to auto off by either connecting to the ignition or installed a chime or something similar? I'm open to experience/suggestions.

Thanks.

My 2013 ST has a warning chime. Comes on when you have switched the off and open the door?

My 2009 STX has a warning chime so yours must either need a reprogram (to enable the option) or the device that makes the sound is disconnected or faulty (fuse?). I don't know how to de-program that option - it's not something I've seen in any manual - so I'm not even sure than it could be done (dealer info only?).

it should definately have a warning chime, but what version is your D40? if its the bare basic XE version it might not be installed.

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the navara world getting my Spanish 2012 navara only a few weeks ago.

I have now twice due to my own stupidity left my headlights on whilst being at work all day to return to a dead battery after leaving my headlights on...

It's really not an excuse but both my previous cars the headlights auto turn off with the ignition so it was impossible to leave them on and I haven't completely rewired my brain yet to get into the habit of turning them off.

My gripe with the navara is that there isn't even a warning chime or anything just silence, so no wonder I've already done it twice. My girlfriends POS lancer even has a chime, in saying that one of my cars that had auto off lights was built in 1999 so its beyond me how a 3 year old Navara just has nothing.

So I guess my question is has anyone changed their headlights to auto off by either connecting to the ignition or installed a chime or something similar? I'm open to experience/suggestions.

Thanks.

My old 2009 model had one, i'm sure your's should

Guys do yourselves a favour and look up the mightycar mods episode where they do this.

It's about a 15 dollar relay. Headlight wires in/ out. Accessories and Earth

Accessories on. Lights on.
Accessories off. Lights off

Guys do yourselves a favour and look up the mightycar mods episode where they do this.

It's about a 15 dollar relay. Headlight wires in/ out. Accessories and Earth

Accessories on. Lights on.
Accessories off. Lights off
15 buck relay? Bugger that. Just grab a multimeter to find the wires and change the power feed wire to the headlight switch to the igniton "on" wire instead of constant 12v like they are from the factory...

Bods' solution might work but the lights are controlled by the BCM, so the power to the lights is governed by computer inside the cabin. There is a loom containing the appropriate wires heading into the light stalk and it's easy enough to get to in the steering column area. It would be easier to use relays out in the engine bay, but where are you guys shopping to get $15 relays? The parkers can be left on and if towing, that's potentially a lot of lights so you'd still need to be careful. The problem with it is that you lose a function: with your ignition OFF and key removed, flash the driving lights ... your low beams will come on. Watch your watch ... 30 seconds later they'll turn off on their own. It's an assist that is supposed to let you have enough light to put the key in the lock of your house and get inside.

Ok, relays ... here's one on eBay, 5x 30A fused relays - $15 free postage. If you don't want them fused then this one will get you 5 30A relays for $6.58 free postage. What I've found useful is to get relays with sockets first, like this one 10x 30A relays with sockets $25 free postage.

I know the relays are cheap. I've had just one (80A) fail in 2 years but I suspect that was more to do with the now-replaced inadequate connector on the bottom that heated the relay up (replaced with a socket). I carry spare relays (why wouldn't you, at that price) and because it's in a socket it's a 5-second job to fix.

15 buck relay? Bugger that. Just grab a multimeter to find the wires and change the power feed wire to the headlight switch to the igniton "on" wire instead of constant 12v like they are from the factory...

The headlights are drawing at least 10A, definitely DON'T feed them straight from the ignition. This is why relays are used for this job.

As with everyone else, mine beeps if I have the lights on and open the door. I'm sure there is just something wrong with your beeper or the circuit that makes it work.

Sorry, i should have said the trigger wire. i was under the impression the feed from the headlight switch was to trigger a relay from the factory......

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, to help with the diagnosis it's a 2012 Spanish ST auto. It's interesting that many of you have said there is meant to be a chime so I'm going to look into this further before doing anything too drastic. I'm actually a massive fan of mighty car mods and have pretty much watched all of their videos from the beginning so if finding the potentially faulty chime doesn't work the next thing ill be doing is that MCM relay setup.

Latest posts

Back