Car Computer Project

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the bloody thind is in. What a mission. I didn't take photos of putting the dash back together as i was competing against fading light. Will post what photos i do have.

The jury is still out on whether i am happy with end result. Still waiting to recieve a few emails from companies about issues i have with their products, so i will give the benifit of the doubt until they get it.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture626-screen-ram-mount-attatched-passenger-seat-bolt.jpg

This is the screen attached to the ram-mount witch bolts to the passenger seat rail. Not bad, flexible but not floppy.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture625-valet-switch-inside-center-console-compartment.jpg

Valet switch, witch disables the ignition line to the DC reg, so when it goes in for a service or something, you can stop the pc from ever powering up. Located inside center console storage.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture624-rear-center-console-valet-switch-bluetooth.jpg

Rear of Valet switch, i have also extended the bluetooth dongle into the cavity back there as i wasn't to sure on the ramisfications of having bluetooth transmitting near the airbag controller.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture627-power-supply-being-fitted.jpg

Power Supply all connected up being shuffled into position with conole in place to make sure it fits.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture628-rear-power-supply-pc.jpg

Rear of PC and power supply. Looks messy and dodge, but i assure you........ that is only because by this stage i had a gut full and light was fading fast. lol

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture629-top-view-install-through-cup-holder-hole.jpg

Top View of install through cup holder hole.

So, it is in and it works. I have 2 issues to sort out so far.

My screen is fuzzy on one side, not sure why yet, looking into it. The other issue is a software one in the hands of others, hopefully.

Any questions, comments, suggestions or critisms?

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture630-screen-back-sear.jpg

rear seat view

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture631-driver-side-view.jpg

Drivers side view.

There are e few housekeepingg things i will do, such as remove blue cable ties and get conduit wrap. etc.

Last edited:
I got a bit slack with the photos toward the end. But if anyone has any request for photo of a certain part let me know.

Learnt a shit load about my dash and car doing this install.

That's quite impressive, very well done - if you are able to hook that into your OBD port you can have on-the-fly vehicle information too, which is quite spectacular!

I think you might benefit from a roof console, because your radio mike isn't going to be easy to get to.

If you're going to make it play video streams, remember that the unit is not supposed to be able to do that for the driver, only the auxiliary screens, while the handbrake is not in use (use the handbrake switch to turn the safety feature on and off). I think there might even be a law in relation to it, I know my in-dash unit is incapable of playing video streams to the main screen while the handbrake is off.

Awesome job!

I found the roof console thread here created by Krafty. In that thread, Krafty refers to a commercially available roof console that doesn't look too bad.

Dammit thats still on the to do list as well.

Biscuits: If you need to do s/w upgrades how much do you have to take apart, or is there an external connector somewhere that is easy to get too?

Also with Tony's idea that the UHF mic will be hard to reach I've found that the hole on the right hand side of the gear stick fits the mic perfectly with the knob taken off the back. It looks like yours is blanked off from the pics but whether you brought the plastic bit from Nissan or just made the hole for the sake of a slight modification to the hand piece it's a nice snug fit and keeps it out of the way.

Roof console is on the cards for sure have my eye on a couple of different ones. Spoilt for choice i guess.

As for software upgrade/updates. The car pc has wireless and i have set up a network drive on my home desktop that i store all my software on. When the car is in the driveway it connects to wifi and hey preto. Software galore.

OBD is still coming. Not sure which one to get.

Got my gps coming in the mail. BU-353.

Cool so instead of roaming the streets looking for open wifi connections to harass we can soon roam the freeways causing havoc with car computers, will be even more fun with OBD connections

Next time you look in the mirror and think that car is following, don't worry they are just watching one of your movies

Wouldn't that be a disaster ... following a Navara, detect an open WiFi connection and insert an instruction to their ECU to commence a forced regen (4 hours of sorry, you can't stop this without pulling the battery lead). Please, please please make sure your network is WPA-PSK secured at the very least.

It still pays to remember nothing is bullet proof when it comes to computer security, even the strongest of wireless security can be breached quite easily with the right tools. For the majority of what you store on a car pc that's not going to be a huge issue but I'd still be fairly hesitant to have any sort of permanent link to my ODB with such a set up considering your just don't need that sort of information on a live feed at all times.

Not to concern about it. i don't imagine to many hackers cruise around with the appropriate tools to shut down OBD-II via secure wireless. CarPC's aren't common enough.

Although i must admit i have set Centrafuse up so i can disable Wifi with push of a button after Old Tony's posts.

If i was a hacker i would dedicate my time to killing facebook not ECU's.

If i was a hacker i would dedicate my time to killing facebook not ECU's.

I know hackers that have dedicated there time to much much less worth while hacks and hacking of facebook would be considered a public service so all would be hackers should use it as their first hack.

The hacking concern is probably unwarranted in todays market but it wont be long before car pc's are fitted standard to many cars. They will no doubt run different things to a DIY kit but they will be out there and so will people with scanners and sniffers just waiting to reek havoc, after all most hacks aren't done to steal information they are done to cause trouble.

It's my experience that hackers don't actually do the front-line hacking these days anyway. They have bots that target specific vulnerabilities, which include vulnerable network links, and make use of those to deliver a payload that not only causes the target machine to continue on this hunt, but cause the target to join a network of similarly 'zombied' machines for nefarious purposes. Some payloads steal the Windows Address Book and forward that onto spammers (ever wonder why your secret personal email address is getting spam?).

Nothing is sacred these days. I also recommend that you perform remote virus scans of your car PC or use an antivirus that, when your car is at home and connecting to your local network, it can automatically update itself. AVG is well suited to this and has a free version.

Well since my last post i have added and ordered a few more items,

I have on order an OBD2 unit from ebay, better work or i'll be spewin.

I have upgraded my WIFI antenna to get better reception from inside vehicle. Yet to by the MIFI pad from internode.

I have figured out a few software issues, so now the PC automatically goes into hybinate when i turn the ignition off.

Tried the FM modulator stright into stereo, but that sucked ass, so i will go back to the transmitter. Belkin tune cast auto is what i have my eye on.

Have extended the audio jack form back of PC to a blank switch cover in dash for easy access.

Will be installing a USB Hub probably this weekend.

Will post photos of all the updates after the weekends work is done.

Latest posts

Back