Bikes in the back...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwinta

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the tailgate is rated for a maximum weight? I intend to put 2 DR650's in the back of my 2011 ST-X and travel to Quobba Station (north of Carnarvon WA) for a fishing trip but I am concerned about the ability of the tailgate to carry the weight of the two back wheels of the bikes. I will be traveling about 50 Kms on an unsealed road that can be corrigated too... I don't get the Nav till 2 days before my trip so I am keen to find out if I have to leave the bikes behind...
Thanks - Winta

we had a two bikes in a hilux like that. one was a kxf450 and a rmz450 and we went 4wding to get to the track. showed no signs of stress or anything. if your concered use a couple lengths of chain instead of the original wire/metal arms.

Mate mine is an 2005 D22 STR & i carry two KTM 250's in mine and the metal arms that hold
the tailgate to the tub are slowly stretching around the holes where they connect to the tub,
so im getting some stronger metal brackets made up through a mate. May be the way to go just for safes sake?

I thought i read somewhere the tailgate was rated for 80kg. I could be wrong though.

I'm not going to admit just how much over that I am but I certainly hope it's rated at more than 80KG given I regularly sit on mine and often it supports 3 of us. The cables on each side suggest the weight would be quite substantial I would reckon, without the cables the hinges might only be 80KG though

Dualcab = used and abused tailgate

I've had six medium tree trunks in the back, strapped at the front of the tray, and hanging about five metres out the back of the ute... Not on public road of course. They had to be lifted by crane, so that's about 600kg pivoting right on the tailgate.

Thanks guys, I haven't been on the site in a while so never saw many of the replys till now, but now I have the car I can confidently see that it would support the weight of the two bikes.... I did the trip up north but we decided to only take the 1 bike so it fitted in well with the tail up, since then I bought a Husaberg 650 which reguarly travels in the back of the ute with no concerns of the weight on the tailgate.

Latest posts

Back