Best power and suspension upgrades for D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirstychippy

Reaction score
Hi,can anyone give me some info regarding what the best upgrades for my 2009 rx 2.5 D40 ,as l will be buying a 21ft caravan......ie chip...suspension...l live on the Sunshine Coast Qld.......Cheers

I've gone dual-rate springs on the rear of mine (ARB Old Man Emu Dakar). Unloaded, not all of the springs engage so the ride is reasonably soft. Loaded, the rest of the leaves engage and the ride is still comfortable. Raised the tail about 85mm, so I had to reposition the towball, but it was worth it! I don't use a chip, I just take it easy and get there when I get there.

We have OME suspension in the Navara and it is great for towing our 2t camper trailer. Another option would be Tough Dog, we have it in our Patrol and I know a couple of guys with Navaras who reckon it is good also.

Cheers for the info guys....lve been quoted ....2inch lift $2000.....exhaust......$1200.......snorkel....$690......chip.....$1100 plus one bloke said l should fit airbags too...$920.....all up close too $6k inc brake controller and Anderson plug....do these amounts seem fare or should l keep looking for better prices......just too tow a van?? $6k really

Maybe l should sell it and buy a better suited car for towing a large van....???Anyone want to buy a 2009 with all the st gear and done only 56000klm for around $25k!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Allot of people don't do half those things to tow a van mate, look at old Tony he had a caravan look at what he's done. The car will need upgraded suspension, and that's pretty much it anything else just makes it easier and more comfortable...

Snorkel if you want to do water crossings
Exhaust lowers egt your call,
Chip makes it go harder. Depends how you drive.
Air bags wouldn't bother if you get the right suspension set up you'll be fine

It's all up to you try it see if you like it then but the next step try it again so on so forth

Cheers Mick ,l will be on the road, if l like or not in the next couple of weeks as l sold the house and willing( NOT)paid the ex half, so lve got to get this right....thanks for the info it all helps.

To tow the van you only NEED the suspension upgrade and a weight distribution hitch (check that your tow hitch supports this first - it has to have a LOT of bolts in it). You don't NEED anything else in that list. None of it.

There are a few hills that give our rig some grief, and the trick is to just let it down a gear or two until she's no longer struggling. Allow the gearbox to amplify the engine's torque and you'll make it without any worries. You might get there 90 seconds later, but I'd rather spend 90 seconds more behind the wheel than 2 days waiting for a part.

Airbags schmairbags. You do NOT need them. You CAN use them, you CAN do it safely, but dual-rate springs will win over airbags every single time - because they won't inhibit movement, and they place the load of the vehicle precisely where the chassis was designed to take it. Don't let a salesman tell you otherwise, because he won't help you while you're on the CSR with a bent chassis.

You do not NEED a snorkel. It's great to have one, but you don't have to bust a nut getting your hands on one. If you DO go for one, consider the cost difference between a cheap one made from inferior plastic that disintegrates in the sun and the slightly dearer ones that you'd normally see (Airtec or Safari - Nissan use Airtec, TJM sells Airtec). I think they're a good idea - they allow cleaner, cooler air into the engine than you'd otherwise get - but the car will drive just fine without it.

The only thing you actually SHOULD change is the rear suspension. Don't bother with helper springs (eg Ironman Load Plus). They're good as a temporary fix, but long term they can't handle the weight.

Oh, there is one other investment you should seriously consider. Camps 7. Don't look here, don't look at Nissan. Look in Rays Outdoors/BCF or other camping stores. It's a gold mine of places to park the van, both free and otherwise.

Latest posts

Back