Beginners track

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revkev91

Reaction score
I'm looking at taking my D40 off road for the first time. Can anyone recommend a track close to Sydney that can be done in a day that would be suited to a beginner. My D40 has a 2" lift, bar work all round, and a winch but my tyres are more for on road. I have been told the Mt Walker Loop is good for a beginner. Can anyone give me some advise

newnes national park, behind zig zag railway has plenty of stuff you could have fun with.

depends on what part of sydney you are in, but you could go down the freeway to mossvale/ fitzroy falls and have a play around Meryla state forest.
Its got a bit of everything, from small shallow creek crossings, to a good little Low range hill climb or some ruts.
There are some great lookouts over the escarpments and you can drive from Mossvale through to the Fitzroy Falls (you actually drive meters from the actual falls)

A great book to buy is the "Boiling Billy" book "4WD Tracks Close To Sydney" by Craig Lewis & Cathy Savage.
In there you will find all sorts of great locations from lithgow "newnes/ glow worm tunnel to the south coast .
well worth a few $ and will keep you busy fro a year or two.

depends on what part of sydney you are in, but you could go down the freeway to mossvale/ fitzroy falls and have a play around Meryla state forest. Its got a bit of everything, from small shallow creek crossings, to a good little Low range hill climb or some ruts. There are some great lookouts over the escarpments and you can drive from Mossvale through to the Fitzroy Falls (you actually drive meters from the actual falls) A great book to buy is the "Boiling Billy" book "4WD Tracks Close To Sydney" by Craig Lewis & Cathy Savage. In there you will find all sorts of great locations from lithgow "newnes/ glow worm tunnel to the south coast . well worth a few $ and will keep you busy fro a year or two.

I didn't know about that track to fitzroy. I will have to go check if out.
Anything else down that way. I am not that far up the road.

I didn't know about that track to fitzroy. I will have to go check if out.
Anything else down that way. I am not that far up the road.

There are a few tracks around Mittagong, i dont know how long for the council have been slowly blocking off sections of it but you can still do a few hrs of driving.

We should organise a few local runs? maybe after the muster??

Yalwal is always good day or night, "monkey gum" at night is awesome

Yeah sound good. It may take a bit of planning on my part due to crap working shift patterns. But would be good to meet some of the guys from the forum.

I like the idea of an overnighter somewhere near there. Robertson has an AWESOME cafe with some of the best food I've ever eaten and there are so many waterfalls in close proximity - add some 4WD tracks to that and it's a winner.

So, some time after the Muster ... organise a camp spot, let's do it!

Kangaroo valley has a caravan park to if that's an option. Close to the pub to. Its a nice spot. Was looking at trying to get dawn that way and go kayaking in the river under Hampton bridge. I pass through there all the time as my mum lives just out of Nowra.

+1 to Newnes. Though watch out if it's been raining, it can get quite muddy (Who says that isn't a fun thing).
Kanangra-Boyd National Park is also quite good.

We've stayed at the caravan park in Kangaroo Valley. Talk about mosquitoes. The park is nice, they don't have a LOT of van sites but it's in a good location.

There is also Bendeela which is on the edge of the waterway. Young kids have to be watched carefully because the water is so easy to get to but it's really flat and open and can take a large number of campers.

G'day Guys, I've been down to Meryla with a couple of other cars one wet Sunday had a ball winching cars out in the first half hour of getting there great spot close to sydney, I would be interested in some close trips if ok with all.

Maybe we can get a SNOG going ( no gay gestures intended :) ) once the muster is done and dusted we should try tee something up.

G'day Guys, I've been down to Meryla with a couple of other cars one wet Sunday had a ball winching cars out in the first half hour of getting there great spot close to sydney, I would be interested in some close trips if ok with all.

Im sure everyone will be ok with it mate, it will be great to get a few local trips going.

Maybe we can get a SNOG going ( no gay gestures intended :) ) once the muster is done and dusted we should try tee something up.

For those that are keen there is a "NSWnog" thread , hasnt been used much there are a few threads one of which is on Meryla and there is a link there for some of my older pics of whats on offer out there
here is the link

http://www.navara.asia/group.php?groupid=6

Last edited:
Hi Nathan. I checked out the photos. looks like a nice are. which Navara is yours in the photos? the gold D22 looks pretty stock, how did it go. I haven't done a lot with my Navara and haven't done anything hardcore since my patrol days. so I will need to get my eye in for the Nav. I really have to pull my finger out and get it more setup for offroad. My main focus has been on setting it up for towing and touring. I need to get some bash plates and complete the lift. then lockers.

Hi Nathan. I checked out the photos. looks like a nice are. which Navara is yours in the photos? the gold D22 looks pretty stock, how did it go. I haven't done a lot with my Navara and haven't done anything hardcore since my patrol days. so I will need to get my eye in for the Nav. I really have to pull my finger out and get it more setup for offroad. My main focus has been on setting it up for towing and touring. I need to get some bash plates and complete the lift. then lockers.

Both mine mate, the gold 22 was my first nav which i had for five yrs and put 370,000km on it and it was stock as a rock and handled the tracks out around Meryla with out a problem. The black D40 was my second nav, then i moved onto the current white D40.

Both mine mate, the gold 22 was my first nav which i had for five yrs and put 370,000km on it and it was stock as a rock and handled the tracks out around Meryla with out a problem. The black D40 was my second nav, then i moved onto the current white D40.

Wow good amount of K's. was that a 3L.

Just goes to show Nissan can get it rite sometimes. But saying that mine has been good. I have changed my timing chain but it was more that it had to be pulled completely apart to inspect it so I changed it while I was going to the double row. but other than that I cant complain at all.

Latest posts

Back