Bad Fuel Economy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denuchy01

Reaction score
Hey all, this may have been done to death but I tried to search and didn't find anything I thought suited me. I have a 2014 Navara Dual Cab Silverline edition ( RX model with sports bar, back step and alloys ), diesel and auto that I believe has terrible fuel economy, 80 litre tank, normal daily driving I get about 12.5 - 13 litres per 100km, the fuel light comes on at about 490km and the futherest I have taken it to is about 80km past, when I filled up I had about 6 litres left. It's had pretty bad economy from brand new I always put it down to "the run in" period, it now has 26,000 on it with no change, any info or ideas would be great. Cheers.

Yep, certainly doesn't sound correct, unless you are only using foot-to-the-floor or for short trips.

My 2013 ST has never gone above 10L/100km since brand new. I put in 52L yesterday with 540km on the trip odo. Mine is a manual through, but I don't think it makes that much difference.

It doesn't sound bad enough for Nissan to be willing to admit it has a problem, so it becomes very difficult.

Fuel consumption

Crikey,
I have a Ford Falcon 4L straight Six Auto, and even towing our little 1Ton single
Axel Caravan we can get 9L or less on Petrol, and I am still waiting for our next Trip to read our little D21 SD25 Ute pulling the same Caravan to Kalgoorlie to see
the Grandkids, and I will shoot the bloody thing if it dose not beat the Ford Sedan,

I feel very sorry for you folk when this happens with a new Vehicle, and the Fuel costs dam near more then the Credit Payments do!

I wish you all luck!

Highway man!:confused2:

I know autos chew more fuel than manuals but within a small bracket from a manual. Manual around 10l/100km and auto ruffly 11-12l/100km due to high rev gear changing and sometimes odd gear choice. I would be suspecting either a leak or over spraying injectors. I would voice my concerns strongly with the dealer. My 2.5 triton nearly meets it's factory range on a freeway/ highway, I wouldn't expect the range they claim but within 50-60kms is good IMO. They gut the cars and drive in a big circle when they measure range I've heard.

Hey all, this may have been done to death but I tried to search and didn't find anything I thought suited me. I have a 2014 Navara Dual Cab Silverline edition ( RX model with sports bar, back step and alloys ), diesel and auto that I believe has terrible fuel economy, 80 litre tank, normal daily driving I get about 12.5 - 13 litres per 100km, the fuel light comes on at about 490km and the futherest I have taken it to is about 80km past, when I filled up I had about 6 litres left. It's had pretty bad economy from brand new I always put it down to "the run in" period, it now has 26,000 on it with no change, any info or ideas would be great. Cheers.

Not good and higher than the usual reports. You still have stock alloys have you increased the tyre diameter?. The King Cabs suffered from poor economy and had an update fitted by Nissan. Clean the MAF sensor and do an ECU reset thats a start. Has Nissan tried to help?.

Very good point above, if you have increased tyre size from stock, then things may not be as they seem . . .

Not sure which engine the 2014 RX has, I thought it was the 140kW YD25. They're supposed to be more efficient than that - by my calc, the described tankful came out at 12.98LPHK. Usually the 140kW-powered ute were doing 10s or under.

My own 2009 D40 Auto (126kW YD25) can go as low as 10.2LPHK but I usually get around 12s around town (standard tyres). I tried slightly larger tyres (265/70R16 vs the standard 255/70R16) and fuel consumption increased by around half to 1 LPHK.

Still doesn't explain yours. There are a few things to play with. With 26,000km on it it should have "loosened up" but if the ECU hasn't been reset from its default factory "rich for run-in" setting then that's the very first thing to do. Grab your radio PIN, write down your trip meter values then go remove the battery negative terminal. Open the car, step on the brakes, then go put the battery negative terminal back on. ECU has been reset. Now take the car for a gentle drive mostly on flat ground trying to keep it smooth for about 10 minutes. Understandably difficult if you live in Nepal, but down in Melbourne you should be good for some distance - that guy with the Ford Explorer and its busted cruise control managed to drive around for a while! What you're doing is forcing the ECU to relearn the fuel mapping.

Other things to try: Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment. Pour the whole ($25 from SCA) can into the tank and take it for a 100-200km drive.

Fuel quality is a possibility. I refuse to buy fuel from Matilda, Liberty, Metro, United and most "Mobil Products" outlets - there's no telling how much biodiesel (and what kind of biodiesel) is in the fuel. Shell don't put Bio in their fuel, so it's safe. BP Ultimate is a higher cetane number fuel than any of the competitors but a higher CN really just makes the fuel start burning sooner, it's like advancing the timing a little - the engine will run a tiny bit smoother and more efficiently. Caltex fuel is 51CN which is not terrible, and has detergents added. Genuine Mobil is 49CN and that's the standard for Australia (same as normal BP diesel). If you're using any of those on my "won't go there" list you might consider changing to one of the major suppliers and see how your car likes that.

Based on the RX model it has the YD25DDTi 128kw diesel engine, the alloy wheels are std ST alloys and the tyres are still factory fitted tyres, the car went back to the Nissan dealer for its 1000km check which was to include the re mapping of the ECU to the normal tune, but that made no difference at all, I only ever use BP diesel, definitely don't drive foot flat everywhere in fact I use cruise control quite often. Has me stumped, I will ring the dealer to try and fix the issue. Cheers.

Good to get a report back a few days after a topic is discussed. To the suprise of many cruise control will cause a car to use more fuel than a gentle right foot. But obviously in your situation it's unlikely to be the cause. Let us know of any updates.

in fact I use cruise control quite often. Has me stumped, I will ring the dealer to try and fix the issue. Cheers.

The use of Cruise Control will actually increase fuel consumption as the ECU will order more fuel when if driving normally you'd ease it up a hill whereas the Cruise will accelerate it up and over the hill. Here in Vic they place the revenue collectors-camera cars at the top of steep hills to grab those with cruise as they wizz over the top well in excess of the legal limit.
Find yourself a nice incline set your cruise at 100 and when you go over the summit you'll be doing close to 110KPH with an auto it'll probably drop back a gear as well. The only place to get economy out of cruise is on a nice long flat straight road.
Cheers Grumbo

D21 Fuel Test!

Now I know I have stuffed up the figures, so I will give you Guru's the gross
figures and you can count your fingers and toes for me!

I traveled from Home to Bindoon and back Home for "454 Klm", and burnt 50.38Litres, in my trusty Chariot, over all types of terain, over the Eight Hours!
In my Cystal Ball that should show, "9" Litres for 100 Klms!
Oil Pressure was 43 PSI all day from start to cup of tea,
Water Gauge showed a pleasant 160 degrees at the same time,
And I am a very happy little "Bildge Rat"
This was done in a very silent mode as well, with the radio on and me singing
my Solo's all the way!
Best regards,

Highway man! P.S.
I have now earnt a whisky or two, or three! good night all!:popcorn1:

Last edited:
hey highway man, i don't mean to be a smart #@$* but your maths is a little bit out, you've actually used just over 11litres/100klm, at 10l/100klm you would have used [454klm] 45.4litres, so your economy was slightly worse than that not slightly better

Latest posts

Back