Anyone seen/used/have any comments on this???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This looks like a good piece of kit to me (IMHO).
It is under AU$150 (PLUS shipping, etc)

What do you think????

http://landyonlineretail.co.za/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=36

EMS2 - Engine Monitor

PRODUCT INFORMATION
The EMS 2 Multi Gauge Instrument can be configured to measure and monitor all of the following simultaneously and is suitable for automotive, plant and stationary engines both petrol and diesel:

1. EGT
2. Coolant Temperature
3. Oil Temperature
4. Oil or Boost or Fuel or Aux Pressure
5. Oil Pressure Switch
6. Water Level with adjustable sensitivity
7. Engine running hours with selectable “service engine reminder” alarm
8. Battery Voltage of supply battery 12 - 24 V DC

The above readings can all have individual alarm set points with max and min values.

Furthermore the multi gauge has:

* Green backlit display
* Ability to record all maximum values until reset
* Voltage reversal and over voltage protection
* Built in audible alarm
* Built in Visual alarm
* External relay output drive to cut the engine or for other uses
* Easy to use menu system
* The ability to calibrate your own sensors
* The ability to set the multi gauge to page through your choice of displays at preset intervals or to display one feature only
* The ability to disable any function/s if they are not required
* A 10 to 30 Volts DC working range

1x EMS LONG harness is now included with all EMS units.

*Sender Kits sold seperately to suite a wide range of vehicle OR can be custom compiled to suite your vehicle*

Hi Joe2006,
Thanks for this.

No idea, but, whatever method you used to do it, if you wanted to monitor all these things, you'd need senders of some sort.

So (unless these are specific to this gauge and are horrendously expensive) senders shouldn't matter too much?

Make sense??

What about the thing itself? See any (other) gotchas??

Just found the manual and the senders look fairly standard:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EGT probe:
The EMS-2 supports both K-Type or J-Type thermocouple probes.

EGT compensation:
K-Type and J-Type probe linearization with build in precision internal temperature reference.

Pressure sender Oil, Fuel or Aux Pressure:
VDO Pressure Sender 0-10 Bar (0-145 PSI) VDO part number VDO360/081/029/012.

Turbo Boost Pressure:
VDO Pressure Sender 0-2 Bar (0-29PSI) VDO part number VDO360/081/032/025.

EMS-2 has a user sender calibration feature that can be customized for senders not listed above.

Oil Pressure switch NO (Normally Open) or NC (Normally Closed) oil pressure senders supported.

Oil Temperature sender / Coolant Temperature sender
:
Standard VDO 50ºC (122ºF) to 150ºC (302ºF) resistive temperature sender (VDO part number VDO323/801/009/001C)

The EMS-2 has a user sender calibration feature that can be customized for senders not listed above

Coolant level switch NO (Normally Open) float sensors. Switch connects to vehicles negative supply terminal when coolant level is at an acceptable level.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that just about covers it - standard sensors.

A lot of the information that the unit gets is already available in the later model cars (2007 onwards, I think) but it's perfect for yours.

Bit of work to put it in, but it'll keep you well-informed about your engine.

Cheers, Old.Tony.
A point well made - I have an old truck and I should feel grateful that it has seats.... :rofl2:

Makes sense, though. I have a service reminder on my ride-on mower and it has been quite useful. Also, there are not a million places to put a million gauges, but I'm sure I can find a spot for one (especially if it is a good one).

Since it'd be difficult to add a modern ECU and all the sensors and a CAN to your car, this is the next best thing. No shame in an "old car", wife and I are looking at older cars to do as a project rebuild. Not sure what to aim for, she likes the 2-door Falcon and I like the GT40, but even preserving an old MG or Jaguar would be special.

Since it'd be difficult to add a modern ECU and all the sensors and a CAN to your car, this is the next best thing. No shame in an "old car", wife and I are looking at older cars to do as a project rebuild. Not sure what to aim for, she likes the 2-door Falcon and I like the GT40, but even preserving an old MG or Jaguar would be special.

Yep - I'm feeling you.....
I was looking at a couple of old "performance cars" a while ago - A Maserati Bi-Turbo and a De Tomaso Pantera. I could afford the cars (they were $25k and $45k respectively), but I eventually freaked out when I considered that, whichever I chose, I'd probably put double of what I spent on it to get it"nice" and then possibly $10-$20k per year to keep it nice (and be able to use it/insure it/put tyres on it/fuel it up/etc).

Have you seen this???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60O9LfEmhmM

Silly money and Waaaaaaaaaay out of my price range, but it looks pretty cool... It's one of those things that I'd like to have a blat in someone-elses.

I hope you had a great Easter and that everything is great for you.

Back