Another strange sound thred

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamros14

Reaction score
Guys recently i have been hearing a clicking sound from my front end. When im driving straight there is no sound but when i turn my wheel either way, i hear a uniform click,click,click over and over until i straighten up the wheel. it sounds like its coming from the wheel itself (left wheel). it increases in frequency the faster i go and if im barley moving ie. in a car park, it dosent happen. i check wheel bolts and there good. any thoughts?
in 2 wheel drive BTW.

It could be a number of things. If it's in time with wheel rotations then it's going to be something out on the end of the axle.

It could be a spider gear inside the CV, but it could be something as simple as a partly-turned hub lock which you should fix soon by fully unlocking so the 'click click' doesn't become a 'wear wear' and then you have to 'replace replace'.

We had a loud click-click that irked us on our way up to the muster. We'd picked up a fair sized rock in the tread of one of our all-terrain tyres, and every time it came around and hit the ground it made a ticking sound. Check the tyre for rocks, screws and nails.

I have the rocks happen all the time, so i'd be checking that first, since it is easiest.

its not a rock lol. ive made sure to check for that. it is a consistent noise that dosent happen some days and not on others. i have automatic hubs and engaged/disengaged 4x4 a few times since noise started. it happens if im coasting aswell, ie. foot on clutch going around a corner (just to check. thats not how i take corners lol). i was thinking maybe wheel bearings or something like that but i jacked the front end up and rocked top and bottom and they have absolutely no play. hmm this one might be tricky

i i have automatic hubs and engaged/disengaged 4x4 a few times since noise started. .....

what brand hubs did you fit?
afaik no navara ever came out with auto hubs. most euro ones don't have lockable hubs, so they push the cv's round all the time. so it could be typical CV clicking.
with auto hubs it could be hubs trying to engage, sometimes they stick.

factory automatic hubs.. i believe we get african spec navaras. mine is a 2006 d22 with zd30. all of our 4x4 zd30 models came with these automatic hubs standard. i really dont think that it is cv's though because it is not that loud and has a different sound if that makes sence. ( ive heard many clicking cv's before and they dont sound like the noise im getting)

Latest posts

Back