Aluminum Radiator D22 ZD 30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha yes, thanks for the slab, hope the airbox worked out for you.
are you all the way up in qld now? lucky to be out of this place!

sounds like an easy enough fix on the asi rad.

its the large top radiator hose outlet that has broken (not the small one that goes to the overflow bottle), i dont know if the clamp has been over tightened in the past or its just brittle from age (20 years old now).
it could last a while as i have clamped it back on, or it could blow off next time i drive it, im going to have to replace it.
Oh ok, yes sorry, miss read that bit! Yup, ya buggered...

Ahh I thought so! Yes mate, its working fine! I used your one in the fabrication for the Snorkel.. works a treat..
I remember your nav, fn spotless nav!

No mate, I came back to Vic over 2 years ago for surgery,, and have been stuck here ever since! F'n hard times eh camping is one thing, surviving like this is another..
In Central Victoria atm! Free camping as some say, just did bith the lower control arms in a "dig in" ! 2 months on the outskirts of Maryborough, lol! Classic...
I'm not sure if I even posted it here mate, a little over this forum eh love it, recommend it to others, but,,,, moving on..

Yup, got the trolley jack and stands from storage and set out to do the front end in the bush. A little dangerous working on the deck though, a few creeeeks going up and down lol
Got the new,, idler arm, h.d draglink "that didn't need shimming" WIN!, lower control arms with ball joints and bushings, new bearings and seals fitted..
Oh, and I got bored with prospecting and finding nails, so I attacked the camper flies and 4b with camo...

I'm working on getting the valves lash adjusted at the moment! I want them done before i start moving from vic...she's a bit thirsty the ol girl... I'm sure she'll love the, air and being able to pass wind a little bit better ;)

It looks like the valves are all the same tolerances! I read the manual as,, 0.35 as the recommend setting for both exhaust "wind" and inlet "air" ;) with a tolerance of 0.30 to 0.40 ..
Have you read the manual on this mate? Would you mind lol have a look at this and see what you read from it!
Its a different format of manual than I'm used too.. But after reading it a "few times" lol this is what I have found.. cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-021504_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-021504_Chrome.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220314-021420_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-021420_Chrome.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 6
No mate, I came back to Vic over 2 years ago for surgery,, and have been stuck here ever since! F'n hard times eh camping is one thing, surviving like this is another..
In Central Victoria atm! Free camping as some say, just did bith the lower control arms in a "dig in" ! 2 months on the outskirts of Maryborough, lol! Classic...
I'm not sure if I even posted it here mate, a little over this forum eh love it, recommend it to others, but,,,, moving on..

Yup, got the trolley jack and stands from storage and set out to do the front end in the bush. A little dangerous working on the deck though, a few creeeeks going up and down lol
Got the new,, idler arm, h.d draglink "that didn't need shimming" WIN!, lower control arms with ball joints and bushings, new bearings and seals fitted..
Oh, and I got bored with prospecting and finding nails, so I attacked the camper flies and 4b with camo...

I'm working on getting the valves lash adjusted at the moment! I want them done before i start moving from vic...she's a bit thirsty the ol girl... I'm sure she'll love the, air and being able to pass wind a little bit better ;)

It looks like the valves are all the same tolerances! I read the manual as,, 0.35 as the recommend setting for both exhaust "wind" and inlet "air" ;) with a tolerance of 0.30 to 0.40 ..
Have you read the manual on this mate? Would you mind lol have a look at this and see what you read from it!
Its a different format of manual than I'm used too.. But after reading it a "few times" lol this is what I have found.. cheers

bit of a bugger about being stuck here.

yes from what i can see 0.35mm is the specified valve clearance and clearance needs to be between 0.30-0.40mm.

Those plastic tanks have always worried me. Mine has been fine for 370kms but I know my luck and where I will be when it craps itself. 200 kay's east of Widgiemooltha 🙄
I will get around to it eventually...

Those plastic tanks have always worried me. Mine has been fine for 370kms but I know my luck and where I will be when it craps itself. 200 kay's east of Widgiemooltha 🙄
I will get around to it eventually...

pretty pox, i'm sure it would have lasted a lot longer if it wasn't for the plastic. currently 265k k's and 20 years old.

i was lucky, i had just pulled into a car park 5 mins from home, jumped out and my young bloke says it looks like you've run over an alien dad, ah fark... coolant all over the ground, we go for a walk and the trail runs for about 50m up the driveway, lost about 1l of coolant, wouldn't have ended so well if we were on a longer trip.

the new radiator turned up today, delivery time was only 3-4 days.

just waiting on new hoses which i will replace at the same time.

Fitted the new radiator today.

I had the same issue as "been a while" with the lower mounts for the fan shroud being a bit out.
Elongating the holes, and trimming a bit off the shroud pins is the fix.

Also put new top and bottom radiator hoses on.

And managed to remove the coolant drain plug from the block without any drama. Remove the passenger front wheel and go in through the splash curtain, would be the only way of doing it due to the position of the plug.

I didn't flush the system, i used nulon green concentrate coolant and demineralized water.

No leaks so far, i will refit bash plates and take for a drive tomorrow.

A few small shiny metal specs in the old coolant, not sure if this means much?

You can see where the top outlet is broken on the factory radiator, not sure where the pieces ended up.
Not sure if it's just given way from old age or if somethings happened with a mechanic in the past.

Attachments

• 20220326_182201.jpg
    20220326_182201.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220326_180525.jpg
    20220326_180525.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Shame they stopped using the old brass radiators, they were easy to repair. Back in the day, when we used to use tap water with a bit of soluble oil for coolant lol. Think some people still make/sell them though.

20 years doesn't seem a bad run for a modern radiator and that would be a good advertisement to put exactly the same type back in IMO. Have heard that unless you get a top of the range well designed one (ie. $$$) that radiators with alloy tanks don't always fare as well as the plastic, as they don't take the constant expansion/contraction as well and can crack easily. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Shame they stopped using the old brass radiators, they were easy to repair. Back in the day, when we used to use tap water with a bit of soluble oil for coolant lol. Think some people still make/sell them though.

20 years doesn't seem a bad run for a modern radiator and that would be a good advertisement to put exactly the same type back in IMO. Have heard that unless you get a top of the range well designed one (ie. $$$) that radiators with alloy tanks don't always fare as well as the plastic, as they don't take the constant expansion/contraction as well and can crack easily. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

will see how it goes.
i will go genuine if it doesn't last.
i think i've done less than 5,000ks in the last 2.5 years.

Latest posts

Back