Advice on UHF radios

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juz

Reaction score
Hi guys, am looking at buying a uhf for my d40 titanium but no nothing about them. Also am looking at where in the ute is the best place install it and what company does good work and deals in western syd. If you can send your photos of your d40 you have put them to give us a idea. Thanks guys

If you know nothing don't stress I'm right behind you.
I use a hand held petals one for the moment.
I think when i geta bolt in one im going to find one with the screen on the handset so the box can be hidden under dash or under seat.
Also seen somewhere the mic was not hardwired to the box so could be removed.
Probally no help but a few things to think about

Hi,
Between myself and a few mates we have either currently got or previously had a variety of units. For what it is worth antenna type and placement had a greater impact on quality than the head unit.
That said a great product is the GME TX3520, it is remote face mount unit. that works very well and can save you having a large unit. Alternately if you are mot going to use your radio that often a TX3100PNP works surprisingly well. Including the little magnetic antenna.

Oh and yes I prefer GME over other brands but it is more a personal preference than anything else.

Features that I have looked for include, size, the colour of the display or the ability to change the colour, price and the ability to programme extra channels.

Best prices and variety of units that I have had dealings with is http://www.prestigecom.net.au
They are based in WA but you won't beat the prices.
I have bought numerous items from them over the years but I have no connection to them as far as recommending them

I have bought from prestige in the past too, great service and good prices. I used to run a Uniden DIN sized UHF donkeys years ago, bought when they were in their old premises.

Now I run a 2nd hand Icom IC-400PRO and it's a brilliant radio. If I was buying new I would go for something with the controls on the mic, hide the unit under the seat or behind the dash and have the mic cable come out from the dash where that circle bit of plastic is underneath the centre passenger air vent (where the hazard light button would be on a LHD D40).

Bought a few antennas from prestige, I would recommend the brand RFI, one of the best. I currently use an RFI CD900 antenna (product code CD931-71-75)

Amateur radio is the next step up, check out wia.org.au if it interests you. I recently got my foundation license and running a Yaesu FT-7900. Good hobby to get in to if radio is an interest

Best thing I did was a decent aerial and roof placement. Have a low gain, high gain aerial and have the cable running down the side of the windscreen through the grommet and into the centre console. Have a 5w hand held unit with the microphone attached. This gives me a decent car set up and also the option of a good handheld when required without doubling up

Latest posts

Back