4WD'ing bug starting to bite

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrbob

Reaction score
Hey All,

Bob's the name. Had my Spanish D40 for a couple of years now. It's a Diesel ST-X, and pretty much stock.

Bought it new with Leather trim, chrome sidesteps, billet grille, spotties, etc etc. It's got 20inch rims, but that's about to change.

After a few trips out on Stockton beach, and a day of hire of a Landcrusher on a recent trip to Fraser Island, the 4WD'ing and camping (well, probably more caravanning if my other half has anything to do with it!) bug has bitten me pretty hard. It's time to turn my machine into a proper off-roader.

I'm also into rallying, but don't have a car at the moment. Wrote the last one off in a pretty big shunt last year, and am taking a time/money enforced layoff from the sport. Still need to feed my automotive adrenaline habit, so here I am :rock:

Will be trawling the forums for info, and probably asking lots of silly questions, as I want to research my mods carefully before comitting. I'll be on a smallish budget, but am prepared to do it over time so would rather do one thing right before moving onto the next, rather than spreading my money across everything and doing it cheaply/crappily.

Basically I think at this stage I'd like to head down the track of a good lift kit, or suspension upgrade, an air-locker (or two), better wheel and tyre combo, good underbody protection and side steps/sliders, better front bar and winch, and then maybe look at modding the engine (diesel powerchip??).

Any suggestions on the how, the what, the where and the who are greatly appreciated. Any tips on good 4WD clubs would be great too.

I'm at Greystanes in Sydney's West, and would like to only deal with good workshops etc.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me. Hope to see a few of you around.

Hi mate welcome to the forum. Trust me once you start you won't stop it becomes a addiction haha. With those mods U plan on it should do you well off road

Welcome to the forums, there is miles of info on here for you to do all the research you will need to do the mods you spoke of. Try looking in members garages for what they are running for pics ect.

hosery is spot on, once you start it doesnt stop, the perfect set up is a moving taget!! hahaha

Have fun,
Nathan.

Welcome to the forum!

The fun begins, eh? Well, the list of things you're looking at isn't a bad start. Garages are a good place to look, but going on some trips and looking first hand at setups is also highly recommended.

And caravanning - love it. In fact, we do both!

It really is addictive, good clean, fun - well maybe not so clean. I've spent about $12k on extras for mine and there's still plans for more.
Welcome and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back