4wd light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyb9999

Reaction score
Hey guys i know this has been raised before, however i need clarification on a few issues.

The other day the 4wd light came on. As i was about to go away i took it to nissan, however it was on closing and they didnt really have time to look at it and told me to book it in when i get back from hols.

Ive read on the forum it could be one of the transfer case sensors, or one of the 4 relays in the engine bay. I rang nissan who told me its more likely a earth issue as i have been through some water and mud lately and that it was less likely going to be one of the sensors or relays as they changed them in 2010.

My question is where would the earth be? Is it connected to the relays?

Secondly, the 4wd light has since gone out, however the 4wd symbol has come up showing the veh in two wheel drive. I have changed the dial and it does switch over to 4 high and low? Should i be concerned? How do i fix this? If it is a earth problem, where is it?

Thanks Richard.

When it engages 4HI and 4LO on the dash, does it actually engage?

Could of been water but has since dried out

Yeah it engages but the pic of the car highlighting it in two wheel drive is still there. Wondering how to clear it? I have a scan tool, no go. Nissan tell me it's prob the earth wire, just don't know where it is.

There are multiple points to check for earth, and it may be other items.

Earth points:
* battery negative terminal
* battery negative cable on engine
* ECU earth point on engine bay side wall near ECU

Other influences:
* Faulty connectors on transfer case
* Faulty sensors/switches in transfer case (and possibly from water ingress)
* Dirty connections on transfer relays (box behind battery in engine bay)
* Faulty transfer relays

Given that you've been through water, some water may have entered through the breather hoses (even if extended, if they're cracked they'll leak). Checking the ATF in the transfer case is important.

Had this same problem a few times now and every time its been one of the sensors on the transfer case. Mine have been replaced under warranty 4 times.

Back