2nd battery help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgermasi

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm planning to install a 2nd battery system this weekend but I might need some help.
I'm planning to set the battery at the front of the tub.
)- Where would be the best place to come in to the tub with the cable from the main battery?
)- Any idea how to fix the battery to the tub floor?
)- Can I use electrical glandes? Are they waterproof?

Many thanks boys

In the D40 there's a channel that rises up from the rear of the wheel guard and up to the corner of the tub at the front. Just make sure you put some rubber (like a door seal) over the sharp lip. That allows the cable to come in. You can run the cable down the inside of the chassis which will protect it, but you still need to put a suitable fuse close to the battery.

How do you intend to charge it? Are you using an isolator in the engine bay? If so, you need a fuse on the rear battery as well. If you're using a DC-DC or inverter+AC-DC charger in the tub you don't need to fuse the rear battery on the cable to the front (but obviously you still need fuses between the rear battery and the aux items you are using).

As for securing it, there are several ways. You could mount a pre-fabricated box in the tub and secure it to the tub or to the cargo rails. I made a box for mine above the guard and secured it to the side cargo rails. I do intend to remove it and make it larger - both slightly wider and longer.

Your tub isn't waterproof. There are holes in the front at the bottom at the cargo rails, at the top in the corners, the tailgate does not seal and there are gaps in front of where the tail lights mount. I wouldn't worry too much about using waterproof entry points - you could use grommets/glands to help reduce the ingress of water at that point, but there's no need to worry if you come up through the corner anyway.

The only thing I can also think of that tony hasn't mentioned is if your going to run this in the car for camping you should probably adds in a management system (solenoid) to seperate the battery's when the car is turned off so you don't get a flat battery in the middle of nowhere. Oh and if your worried about waterproofing just fill the glands with silicon once your done. But as mentioned trays not fully waterproof anyways.

I'll add one more thing.

If you have any reservations, or things you aren't sure of either make sure you have someone close handy that can answer those questions or bite the bullet and pay someone. Despite it only being 12V it's not the sort of job you want to do if you don't know exactly what your doing and while a bodgy job might last forever it also may not and it's just not worth the risk.

Latest posts

Back