265/70R17 or 265/65R17LT?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40 Tyres - Big or LT?

• 265/70R17 OD804 Load115, Passenger

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 265/65R17 OD776 Load116, Light truck

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

danger1474

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. G'day!

I'd love to pick the brains of the collective regarding a tyre size and construction choice that I need to make.

I won't enter the tyre debate at this stage (although I predict it might run away with us) - let me just say that I've made my tyre make/model choice with significant help from these forums and some heavy googling. That case is closed and no further correspondence need be entered into. ;)

For context, this is for an A/T tyre on a 2011 D40 ST-X on standard alloy rims (17"), no lift. I want to go up in size from the stock 255/65R17 (OD 764). Usage - weekend offroad camping with an eye to get into more interesting places than in the past.

So, I'm faced with a choice between a passenger construction 265/70R17 (OD 804, as big as will fit apparently) or a light truck construction 265/65R17 (OD 776)

The big question thus becomes - LT or Big??!?

Some thoughts on the matter would be extraordinarily helpful. If 265/70R17LT was available it'd be a no brainer, but Murphy has had his way. I won't share my own thoughts just yet so I don't taint the debate. ;)

Cheers!

Welcome aboard.

I've gone back to standard tyre size, mostly to return the final drive ratio to standard. I might go back to slightly larger if I get a DTUK chip but there's no choice being made there until after Easter.

Larger tyres give you diff clearance and, with lower tyre pressures, a little more of a vital footprint on mud or sand. Your rampover will increase by the same amount too, so there are advantages if you're going offroad.

Coupled with a 50mm suspension lift and locked diffs you'll find that the car is far less inhibited.

Coupled with a 50mm suspension lift and locked diffs you'll find that the car is far less inhibited.

Ahh yes, the lift and diff locks are both in the future-project (lotto-win) tray. :)

So I guess that's a vote for big, as a poor-mans lift?

Thanks Old.Tony

I'm going for the Bridgestone D697s. Unfortunately still undecided on size. Voting is 60/40 with only 5 votes. I was hoping for a clear winner based on everyone else's experience. Perhaps a coin toss will make the decision. Or price.

I went with the 265/65R17 in light truck construction. Very happy. They look mean and feel great on the road and no discernable increase in noise. I have yet to get them on anything more interesting than gravel unfortunately but fingers crossed that they continue to impress.
I'm still surprised at how much better they've made the handling feel.

Mate I got 265/70/17 and I get scrubbing on the front end against the chassis @ only 50% lock.. I run Achilles xmt muddies.. I might add I am quite happy with them.. quiet grub the road well, great in the sand

Latest posts

Back