Wiring woes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Navara

Reaction score
So, I wired in the Redarc dc/bc for the muster, then hurriedly connected everything to the tub battery. works perfectly, all mickey mouse with 4awg wires and all.
this is where I then came unstuck rushing to chuck everything in to work for the muster.

I (foolishly) cut the lighter connection off the fridge plug and put on an Anderson. so far so good. then I connected another Anderson direct to the battery with no fuse or breaker in the line, so when the fridge slide pinched the wire - instant meltdown!

So, long story short, I know I need a fuse in the line. What I don't understand, is the issue around varying wire thicknesses in the supply. I can reroute through a boating switch block that has separate fuses integrated in it, but the wire from the battery to the switch is a different thickness to the cable to the fridge, but a short run ( 15cm?).
Does that make a difference?

Not really. The issue with thin cables only exists over distances greater than around 3m. If your cable is just a short "jumper" then it's fine, as long as it's rated to handle the current adequately, otherwise it's hardly different to a fuse!

Not really. The issue with thin cables only exists over distances greater than around 3m. If your cable is just a short "jumper" then it's fine, as long as it's rated to handle the current adequately, otherwise it's hardly different to a fuse!

Thanks Tony,
How's Jackson, got over the caving?

And how's Tony- did you feel the caving by the time you got home?

Little man wasn't so fussed on the caves, but he really enjoyed his time with the kids there and can't stop talking about Joel, Coen and Ryan so the underground adventures are pretty much history for him. Distraction is a wonderful tool and whether they knew it or not, they all played a valuable role.

We didn't get home till after 10:00pm, so I parked the van in the drive and went inside, put Jackson to bed then caught up on the forum. It's been flat out since then!

Little man wasn't so fussed on the caves, but he really enjoyed his time with the kids there and can't stop talking about Joel, Coen and Ryan so the underground adventures are pretty much history for him. Distraction is a wonderful tool and whether they knew it or not, they all played a valuable role.

We didn't get home till after 10:00pm, so I parked the van in the drive and went inside, put Jackson to bed then caught up on the forum. It's been flat out since then!
I must say Tony it is an amazing job you are doing with Jackson and it just blew me away. In fact I think it just encapsulated the entire spirit of the muster and this forum. It is just one big family helping each other out and I am so glad that I have found you all.
I know this might sound a bit soppy but I wouldn't have been able to get far without the help and support from the crew that went.
Cheers all

Latest posts

Back