winch maintenance

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navd22yd25cr

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering with winches if anyone does regular maintenance or has tips to keep the winch in top form.

At the moment i have a steel cable winch. I was advised to keep the cable oiled or greased to stop corrosion oxidising of the metal.

What else do you guys recommend? I will be changing to dyneema rope but atm sticking with the steel cable.

Cheers

i run my cable out fully occasionally just to check theres no damage
i dont lube it in any way because i think it will turn it into a dust magnet if i do
as for internals,if it breaks i will throw it away,get another one ,they are fairly cheap these days and it gives me an excuse to update to dyneema

Do not lube the wire rope it will cause it to corrode much quicker than if left alone.

Just use it every 3 months to check proper function.

If you have to pull it apart which you should really do every now and then, check for corrosion and grease. Water does seap into them they are not 100% water tight.

I had my winch sitting idle in a box for a number of years, when it came time to fit to the Nav it was seized. (the free spool handle would not turn also)
I pulled it apart and found corrosion in the gear hub, a lot of cleaning and a rebuild with a marine grease and works just like new now.

Just remember to take note of how it pulls apart as there are a couple of items that can be installed the other way around.

Latest posts

Back